Going on vacation with a pet tortoise?

Fuugottie

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
How do u guys go on vacation when u have a pet tortoise? How long can they be left alone? I have a baby leopard tortoise he’s around 8 months old I’m just curious as to what u guys do?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Depending on age and species they can not be left alone, if the flip and can not right themselves they will die. Some clear all hazards in the enclosure and leave them for a night or 2. Best options are find another place it can go to whilst your away so you know it will be safe. You could contact a reptile shop to see if they can accommodate or find a friend to come in and feed and change water. Or if you have a friend or family it can go ton a midi break and buy a set up home from home. Hope you find a way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do u guys go on vacation when u have a pet tortoise? How long can they be left alone? I have a baby leopard tortoise he’s around 8 months old I’m just curious as to what u guys do?
Best to leave them at home and have someone check on them and do the food and water daily. All your lights should be on timers and heating elements on thermostats. Wifi cameras can give you some peace of mind while away too.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have left my baby leopard years ago for a weekend only. Anything longer I paid a friends son to come twice a day to feed, water and check.

jeannettep

Texas
We take our tortoises with us in a set up tub in the rv. It was a bit of a challenge since you have to maintain humidity & temperature, so took my temperature gun as part of my tortoise travel kit. I use a pet pen with a chicken wire floor & covered the sides so they can't see out for outside exercise but I don't recommend this as someone has to watch it the entire time they are outside getting sun/shade combo & for dangers. I carry their humid hide & similar set up as at home. Since it's just the 2 of us, we don't have distractions. I really like having a camera set up in their enclosures at home to check on them. If it's just a day or 2.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If it's just a couple of days, I leave them and don't worry about it.

I'm one of those lucky guys who seem to accumulate tortoises that don't flip over (knock wood), and I just give them an extra-long soak before and after I'm gone and they're fine.

Jamie