Glock Perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I went back to a revolver, no jams and lack of moving parts with no springs. I feel more comfortable, being retired, with a revolver. On the job, depending on the assignment or operation, I would prefer something else for sure, lots of fire power, however different world and need. I know alot of regular guys on the job carry a auto as primary and revolver as back up. Jams are possible. I once got my auto so full of mud tracking a fellow in the swamp, I am sure it would not fire. I know my revolver in my vest for sure would. I like Glock, they are proven and most SWAT members love them for the compounds and reliability. My issue is my hands are so big, I need a large frame handgun to fit good and right, LOL.:) Good thread Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Greg. Have you ever tried the Glock 21? A common complaint among .45 lovers of other brands is that its a bit too big and bulky in their hands. I shot one for a long time. I started with the G17 and then decided that 9mm was too weak. I went to the G21 and shot the heck out of that one for several years. As I got better, and the drills got faster and harder, I found the .45 to be just a bit too slow of a recoiler. My reflexes and trigger finger were outpacing the recoil impulse of the .45 on shots 4,5 and 6 for certain drills. I compromised on the G23. Small and concealable, yet I could get a full grip on it. It has nearly the power of .45, with a faster recoil impulse than even 9mm. The .40 also shoots flat out to about 115 yards. Not really ever useful in a pistol, but kind of neat. Now, with improvements in modern bullet technology, I'm starting to gravitate back toward the 9mm because I'm faster and more accurate with it. And I can carry more chances to stop the bad guy with it. ... anyhow, that's a whole 'nother story...

The Glock 21 in .45 might be a good fit for you.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Tom said:
...out to about 115 yards. Not really ever useful in a pistol, but kind of neat.

Oh, I don't know about that...depends on who you talk to! :D

I shoot competition silhouettes with a .44 mag revolver. 50 yards up to 200 yards. Long range is definitely usefull in a pistol for me! (sure wouldn't use a glock for this though!)

Ruger SBH .44 mag. 10.5" barrel....

IMG_20101125_195400.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red Earth Exotics said:
(sure wouldn't use a glock for this though!)

Me neither!:D

200 yards? That's what my .308 is for. Well, the bullet is just stabilizing at 200. I can reliably hit out to 725 with it.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Tom said:
Red Earth Exotics said:

200 yards? That's what my .308 is for. Well, the bullet is just stabilizing at 200. I can reliably hit out to 725 with it.

Yeah, but it's more fun and challenging with an iron sight revolver! You should check out a local silhouette match sometime. Lots of fun and silhouette shooters are some of the nicest ones around! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red Earth Exotics said:
Tom said:
Red Earth Exotics said:

Yeah, but it's more fun and challenging with an iron sight revolver! You should check out a local silhouette match sometime. Lots of fun and silhouette shooters are some of the nicest ones around! :D

What?! When? I'm too busy taking care of hordes of reptiles nowadays...

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Tom said:
Red Earth Exotics said:
Tom said:
Red Earth Exotics said:

What?! When? I'm too busy taking care of hordes of reptiles nowadays...

take some of the sulcatas with you. you'll be a hit. just don't let them down range!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have lived my life by several rules
some of them include
better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it
also one tom mentioned better to be judges by 12 than carried by 6
and hope for the best, prepare for the worst
While I don't own a gun I am looking in to getting one ( I do own some rifles though) If I can ever find a single woman who owns a gun in california I will probably marry her on the spot.

Chifte

5 Year Member
Fleetwood, PA
Awesome to see some people are still carrying revolvers, I've always been a huge fan of revolvers and I've found them more comfortable to not only to handle but to wear IWB.

I currently carry a SP101 2 1/4" with Hornady XTP 158g, built like a tank! The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the grip, I want to get a Badger grip as the reviews seem to sway towards people with larger hands.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

montana

5 Year Member
Treat every gun as if it was loaded ....

NEVER POINT YOUR GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON`T INTEND TO SHOOT..

That`s my motto !!!

No one sees my gun till it is smoking in my hand !!!

Life aint TV and he is going to forget what you say as soon as his brains hit the ground anyway..

Pull the trigger till you are empty reload and pull it some more .. [reloading is not necessary with the glock ]

At one time I had a SW 1076 full length 10mm In the time I had it I found it to about be the equal of a 357 ..

I guess there were a lot of sissys that shot paper all the time couldn`t handel it To bad as it was an improvement over available semi auto rounds ..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well you guys started the safety rules. May as well get in all four.
1. Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded.
2. Never point your gun at anything that you are NOT willing to destroy.
3. Be aware of your target AND beyond.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

You basically have to violate all four rules at the same time to have a "negligent discharge". I don't use the term "accident" anymore. Its not an accident when someone violates all four safety rules at the same time. Its most definitely negligence.

#4. above is the biggest one for me. ALL guns come with a built in "safety". None of them will just fire on their own. The trigger must pull pulled to the rear. This one drives me CRAZY when I see dumba*$#s in movies and on TV running around with their finger on the trigger. You can always tell when the actors have had proper training and when they bring in a real expert as a consultant on tactics.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Tom said:
Rob, you're clearly a grown-up and I mean no disrespect, but I think its a mistake to shoot one at the range and carry an entirely different type out in the world.

I believe that any gun which will be carried should be fired as often as possible in a controlled setting: range, training courses etc. This point falls into the not debatable category. Muscle memory comes into play when in a truly defensive situation, and the only way to build this muscle memory is through controlled practice. I did say that I don't enjoy shooting my .38 revolver, but I DO make a point of shooting it each and every time I am at the range.

BUT, self defense is not the only reason for owning firearms. For me, it is not even the primary reason. I enjoy shooting as a hobby. As part of this hobby, I enjoy shooting many different types of firearms. Pistols, rifles, shotguns. Auto, semi auto, single shot etc. So I like to shoot as many firearms as possible with a wide range of ammunition.

My range experience is varied and is always changing based upon what type of event I might get involved in.

So for me, the simplicity of a revolver makes sense when choosing a carry weapon. I give up ammo capacity, but my experience has been that I am ten times more likely to actually carry my revolver than any other firearm I've yet owned. 5 shots in my pocket is beter than 13 in my safe.

I think the key, which some have stated already, is that a person should be completely comfortable with their carry pistol, no matter what form.

My disclaimer, which some might say makes me stupid for even getting involved in this thread, is that I have never owned a Glock. My Glock experience is limited to about 1000 rounds. (500 .40sw, 250 .45, 250 9mm)

I am hoping this thread will convince me to buy a Glock and get over my double action only issue. Who knows, owning a Glock might change my entire attitude about carrying my revolver over a semi automatic. I'm certainly open to that possibility.

Now the question is, which one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CtTortoise said:
Now the question is, which one?

Great post above.

Which one? Ha. I couldn't pick, so I subscribed to Bill Clinton's one gun a month plan. Man that was a good idea of his. I had to buy another safe on account of his brilliant social engineering plan.

For me I have to physically try out all the options extensively when contemplating such an important decision. I can tell you the path that most people take and where they end up, but you'll probably need to get there yourself anyway. Most people start with a 17 or 19 and then decide 9mm is too anemic. Then they switch to the 21. Usually they realize the 21 is great, but too big to carry around. Most settle on the G23 in .40 as the best compromise of all the factors. I've been shooting and carrying the 23 for over 10 years now and just recently I've started reconsidering the 19 in 9mm. Advances in ammo technology have really minimized the end performance differences between 9, .45 and .40. Frankly, I just shoot the nine faster and more accurately. I can put them all in an 8" circle drawing from concealment, shooting fast, and on the move with the .40 or .45. But I can put them in a 4-6" circle with the 9.

One thing that I really like about the "Glock" platform is that once you learn one, you have learned them all. They all handle, point and shoot exactly the same. Makes it very convenient to switch to a 26 or 27 for light weight and warmer weather carry and your 19 or 23 for the rest of the time. They are all exactly the same size with just a little shaved off of the barrel or butt. The grip, trigger pull, width and sights are exactly the same.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Tom:

Please comment on your experience with the following:

C series vs standard. Does the compensator help much?

G36: single stack vs double stack. Have you used the g36? How does the single stack change the "feel" of the firearm? If you have used it, did you notice a difference with the slimmer grip?

I doubt I would have much interest in a .45 these days. As you already mentioned, improvements have made the 9mm and the .40 much more effective than they once were.

I guess my my question would be: with the 23 you mentioned 8inch groupings from a tactical draw. Do you think the G23C would put you any closer to the 4inch groupings that you can achieve with the 9mm?

Thanks.
Rob

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 19c has the lightest recoil "feel" of any Glock. Its my favorite to shoot. Its almost like a .22. I've shot many night classes and scenarios with it and the flash that so many people talk about have never posed a problem for me or anyone else that has actually used one at night. I was just using standard fmj target ammo too. With low flash defensive ammo, there is no more "flash" than with standard pistols. I am a little more accurate at speed with the 19c vs. the 19.

Its the same story with the 23c, but I feel very little difference in recoil between the 23 and 23c. Like the 19c, there is little or no upward flash and no problem shooting it at night or for low light scenarios. I should note that I have very good night vision and I'm so sensitive to light that I detest "night sights". They blind me. If flash was a problem for the C models, I would know. I'm no more accurate at speed with the 23c than I am with the 23. The only way for me to shrink my groups significantly with the .40's is to slow down. If I go slow, I can make one ragged hole with any Glock.

I have heard also that the upward flash can be a problem if the top of the muzzle is held too close to the body in certain CQB situations. This has never been a problem for me, even in weapons retention drills at very close range with live fire.

On the 36. I have held, but not shot it. Those who have shot it and carry it love it, but lament about the reduced ammo capacity. I've shot the 30 extensively and love it. Surprisingly, the 30 is the one my 5' tall mother shoots the best and finds the most comfortable. Go figure, huh?

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I need to find a gun shop that will let me live fire a few before making a purchase. Thanks for the feedback!!

Status
Not open for further replies.