Glock Perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
CGKeith said:
Erin, my wife is the same way, but....she has her own .357 that she carries. :)

A friend of ours, who is a Police Officer asked her why she carried such a powerful gun. She responded "It makes me feel pretty." He laughed and didn't ask any more questions.

Your wife sounds awesome!! I really want a taser but they are illegal to have unless you are a trooper here. I still want one because I feel like the person who mistakenly tried to attack me and got a taser in the eye won't call the police on me.

montana

5 Year Member
The .357 loaded with 38 specials will recoil less than a 38 special .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CtTortoiseMom said:
I really want a taser but they are illegal to have unless you are a trooper here. I still want one because I feel like the person who mistakenly tried to attack me and got a taser in the eye won't call the police on me.

Would you rather be tried by 12 or carried by 6?

"Legal or illegal" separated from "right or wrong" a long time ago...

What kind of society would forbid a woman to protect herself from death or harm with non-lethal force?

montana

5 Year Member
Time to dump the tea !!!

Southern California Has been invaded by Illegal Mexican drug cartels with illegal assault rifles and machine guns ..

The government is powerless to stop them ...

But a little old lady with a taser ...

The cops will kick down her door and murder her in her sleep ...

montana

5 Year Member
Not long ago the French had a government that was almost as incompetent, corrupt and arrogant as the one we have here today ...

They tried everything but none of the government paid any attention..

What did get there attention was when they led them and there families up to the guillotine and cut there crooked arrogant heads off ....

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
As my wife mentioned, I do prefer the Sig over the Glock.

I like everything about the Glock except, for some reason, I just can't get over double action only. I have no idea why. For a semi automatic, I like a single action double action.

As for the sig, overall a great, well made gun. Can't speak highly enough about them. In this part of the country they are pretty standard for all law enforcement. The only guys in enforcement that I know who don't carry Sigs carry Glocks, but it seems the Sigs outweigh the Glocks pretty heavily. I'm sure lots of this has to do with purchase contracts, etc, but it certainly points to both being reliable.

Someone mentioned the S and W sigma. For me, this gun was a bust. Looking back, I don't even know why I bought it. Either way, it had to be replaced in under 150 rounds, as did it's replacement. Faulty firing pin on both. This did not sit well with me. When I replaced the second one, the firearms dealer stated that he would no longer be carrying the Sigma because I was one of many whom had returned them. I really like and respect S and W, but it seemed like the Sigma was an attempt to jump on the "Glock Band Wagon". If you want to buy a Glock, buy a Glock, not a Glock copy. I'm actually glad to hear that others have liked the Sigma, because I hope this means they improved their original design.

For carry I prefer my Chief's Special snub nosed, airweight, hammerless, 38 special by Smith Wesson. Great little gun. Super comfortable to carry and packs a punch. It's hard to argue with the reliability of a revolver. No safeties to worry about. No need to chamber a round. Just point and shoot.

I've been considering getting The Taurus Judge for our bedroom safe. The Taurus grip is a bit bulky for me, but for a "grab the Taurus while I run for the shotgun" type of gun I don't mind. The ability to hold a .45 round in addition to a 410 shotgun slug is just a cool concept. Seems like a fun one to add to the pile.

I love pistols, but I must say my favorite gun is still my Ruger 10/22. In my opinion it is just a perfect gun.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Seems odd that you like your revolver for the same reasons that you say you don't like the Glock. :)

Double action only trigger. The Glock doesn't have a safety to worry about either.

Just messin' with you. I do really like Sigs also, just not the price of most of them.

I also feel that the Glock trigger is closer to a single action than a DAO, that is why I like it.

I don't really care for a true DOA trigger, which is what you hammerless revolver is.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
CGKeith said:
Seems odd that you like your revolver for the same reasons that you say you don't like the Glock. :)

Very true. I should have clarified a bit more. I use them for two different purposes. For concealed carry I like the revolver which is of course double action only. For indoor/outdoor range pistol firing, tactical training, and other various hobby activities I prefer a semi auto single action double action with a hammer. (The revolver is really just no fun to shoot for extended periods of time!)

I just don't see a situation where I would comfortably use a semi auto pistol for concealed carry. Mainly because I have never found a holster or means to carry which I felt truly comfortable with. (That could certainly be it's own topic.). Any time I've ever carried a semi auto, I just didn't feel comfortable. I can carry the revolver in multiple different ways, from jeans to a business suit and feel totally comfortable.

As for the Glock feeling like a single action, I will say that the Glock trigger is much nicer than the original Sigma trigger. (Not sure if S and W has changed this.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Like most who carry, I have a box of holsters that didn't quite work out. I finally found a nice leather IWB that is a decent compromise of all the factors. In hot weather (shorts and a T-shirt) I comfortably carry either a 26 or 27. In colder weather (shorts and a sweatshirt or jacket) I carry a 19 or 23. Nobody can tell if I'm carrying or not, even if I ask them.

I much prefer 16 chances (plus a real quick reload of 17) to solve a life threatening problem to six. That's 15+1 in the G19 plus I carry the G17 mags for a spare. Of course the spare mag sits right next to my Surefire on the off side.

Rob, you're clearly a grown-up and I mean no disrespect, but I think its a mistake to shoot one at the range and carry an entirely different type out in the world. I hope that comes across in the friendly, respectful way that I meant it.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
No, I would say he's planning on being prepared.

Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Or pray for peace but train for war.

Same thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
montana said:
Planning on missing a lot ???

Know anyone that kills hostile human beings for a living? I do. Lots of them. Anyone will tell you that regardless of caliber (.45, .40, 9mm, and even .223), it generally takes 5-7 rounds to put a bad guy down and end the fight. .38 would likely take more. Sure one round of .22 could physically do it, but likewise 14 rounds of .40 AND 33 rounds of .223 MIGHT not be enough. I have the actual FBI case file on that one. Pictures and all. Happened in PA. Kid was 18 and NOT under the influence of anything but adrenaline and hatred of cops. After putting all those rounds in him they jumped him and had to fight him to the ground to get the cuffs on him while he was trying to reload his one mag.

So, in my mind I'd have to be pretty lucky, an excellent shot under extreme stress, AND only be assaulted by one bad guy in light clothing for a .38 with 5 or 6 shots to be an effective means of self defense. Since criminal scumbags often travel in pairs or groups, 5 or 6 shots with a slow reload, just isn't enough to make me feel adequately prepared to defend my loved ones.

For the record, I hope such a thing NEVER happens, but if it ever did, the bad guy will lose.

... and no, I don't plan on missing, at all.

montana

5 Year Member
I agree they shoot **** poor little rounds [all of them ] ...

I would guess a 41 mag would be more effective ....

But whats enough ??? One extra clip three extra clips ??

I have carried almost every day for thirty years and I know where you are at ...

Some day you will leave one mag home then later another soon you will be packing a seecamp ..

Like I have said before the best gun in a gun fight is the one you have with you ...

The best gun for a war [what you are preparing for ] is a 308 battle rifle ...

PS The glock made in the 80s are starting to fail because they are made from plastic while a good 1911 is just getting broken in ...

All in all its what works for you this is just a discussion ..

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have carried a gun for over 25 years due to my line of work. I like Glocks, however I carried a S&W as my main duty weapon. Just preference, size and weight. I have used many hand guns for different functions and operations. Since my retirement, I have a S&W 2" scandium 44 special. Unless you need a gun for tactics or combat, I think the simpler the better.

ek4yep.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
montana said:
I agree they shoot **** poor little rounds [all of them ] ...

I would guess a 41 mag would be more effective ....

But whats enough ??? One extra clip three extra clips ??

I have carried almost every day for thirty years and I know where you are at ...

Some day you will leave one mag home then later another soon you will be packing a seecamp ..

Like I have said before the best gun in a gun fight is the one you have with you ...

The best gun for a war [what you are preparing for ] is a 308 battle rifle ...

PS The glock made in the 80s are starting to fail because they are made from plastic while a good 1911 is just getting broken in ...

All in all its what works for you this is just a discussion ..

Yes it is just a discussion, and an enjoyable one at that. I love the 1911. STILL the best trigger ever put on a handgun, anywhere, anytime. HOWEVER, its got a lot of moving parts and a lot of potential for failure. The 1911 has over 130 parts. The Glock has 35. As someone who shoots with guys who shoot tens of thousands of rounds through both Glocks and 1911's, I can tell you honestly that 1911's breakdown and need replacement parts FAR more often than Glocks. My instructor has a bunch of 1st generation Glocks from the mid 80's that went from Duty guns, to range guns, to student loner guns. Several of them have OVER 250,000 rounds through them. Only the occasional extractor or return spring has ever been replaced. One day one of them started shooting a foot to the left. Still functioning fine. Close examination revealed a crack in the slide. He took it to Glock and was razzing them for a broken slide with ONLY a quarter of a million rounds through it. They replaced it free of charge, no questions asked. Mind you this is the old style, single pin, straight grip original design. The rough draft, if you will. The newer generation Glocks are improved upon and even MORE durable.

Now honestly Montana, can you tell me that you know of even one 1911 that has or will last for 250,000 rounds without multiple replacements of nearly every part on the gun. Someone who calls in to question the durability or reliability of the Glock is someone who doesn't know the Glock very well.

As far as all these other brands and types go, here's my opinion: There are lots of good guns out there. None of them come close to the Glock as far as features, function and reliability for a practical defensive pistol. All you have to do is take ONE single defensive pistol class with any decent instructor anywhere in the country, and you'll understand why. When you show up for the very first day of an entry level defensive pistol class, you'll see a whole host of guns up and down the line and each person will have darn good reasons why they chose that particular gun. By the end of the first day most of the students are asking to borrow a Glock to finish out the rest of the class. When you show up for your second class a few weeks later, you MIGHT see a couple of 1911's in the hands of long time shooters in their 50's or older (my boss was one of those), but every other gun will be a Glock. As you move along with your defensive pistol education almost everyone eventually converts to the Glock. My boss was one of these too. He accidentally missed thumbing off the safety on a draw from concealment and his trusty 1911 wouldn't go boom. He reholstered, walked straight to his car, and swapped his 1911 for his Glock. He still loves his 1911s, but he TRUSTS his Glocks.

montana

5 Year Member
I have two Glocks ...

I should get them out and shoot them !!

Status
Not open for further replies.