Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Disclaimer: If you don't like guns, you may want to just skip ahead to some other topic or thread. If you want to debate the merits, or lack there of, of guns, please start an off topic debatable thread and I'll happily join you there.

For everyone else:
I've been shooting all the different Glocks since the mid-90's. I started using them during my second pistol class and have continued through dozens of classes to this day. They were recommended by almost everyone and I've always found them to be a well made, very reliable, simple to use and clean handgun. I love them. My only problem is trying to choose which model to use on any given day. 26 or 27 for hot weather carry. 21 for falling steel plates on the range. 19 or 23 for cooler weather carry. Which one for a class? Decisions decisions...

I always thought the above slogan was kind of catchy. Seemed like a good marketing strategy to me. Well, on Super Bowl Sunday I took the Glock Armorers Class with my regular instructors. NOW I really understand the slogan. NOW I understand fully why so many people like and recommend the Glock. It truly is handgun perfection personified. Every one of the 35 parts makes sense. Nothing unnecessary. Everything fits and comes together perfectly. All of the metal is treated perfectly for its given function. The different proprietary rifling is far superior to everything else out there. Everything is simple and easy to understand. Most of the parts are interchangeable between models. Not that you need parts very often. They also come with a lifetime guarantee. My instructor has been shooting them since they came out. He has several that he uses as loners for the classes. He has two that broke after 250,000+ rounds through them. Glock simply replaced the broken parts with no questions asked.

The whole thing and every single one of the 35 parts can be disassembled and reassembled in about three minutes with one simple punch tool. Ever try that with an AR or 1911? I tell you the thing is PURE GENIUS in every way.

I learned sooo much about these guns. Details I had no idea about. For example: Do you know why the Glock isn't used more by the military? Its because there is a clause in each military contract that requires the parent company to release all of its proprietary secrets, so that anyone can copy and reproduce the gun after three years. Glock said "No way". Beretta said "okay." Ever notice how many AR and 1911 companies there are out there.

Anyhow, it was already my favorite pistol and has been for many years, but now I have a whole new appreciation for HOW and WHY it is such a good gun. Everything else pales in comparison. I can't see how anyone would buy anything else after shooting one and taking this armory course. I've taken lots of armorers courses over the years, but none of them had this effect on me. Your questions and discussion are welcome.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Great post Tom.Glocks really are perfection in a handgun.I have owned and still own more than a few.But sadly,I'm a bit of a Luddite.I fell in love with the 1911 early in life and it still has my heart.I just can't help it.lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 1911 STILL has the best trigger ever made on a handgun. Great gun. Its my second favorite.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I just got into handguns last year as my dad had been in the business most of my life. After a lot of research I decided I definitely wanted a Glock, and the the first gun I got was a Glock 19. Not for concealed carry or anything just for pleasure. I love it but don't have enough time so shoot as much as i'd like. I just liked everything I read about Glocks, reliable, and simple.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Great post, Tom. I don't have a Glock, but I have shot one. It was the full size .45 (not sure of the model #). I didn't care for it. It didn't fit my hand well and shot just O.K. It was nothing special in my opinion. I have been told however, to try the full size .40 model and I will change my mind. I have yet to do so, but would really love to. Until I do, my carry choice is my Springfield XD 40. My wife bought it for me when I came home from Iraq the first time, so I guess it's a little sentimental to me in that way. I would probably carry my FNP-45 if I wasn't so familiar and attached to my XD. After I put another thousand rounds or so through my FN I may end up using that for carry...

On a side note, it's always nice to hear from and talk to other firearm enthusiasts. I use that term loosely. It could very well be firearm nut in my case. Might need to start some new threads on here about my other hobby/obsession....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yes the glock is super fine ..... and another " easy to strip in the field " is the SW "Sigma" 40 Cal. The 40 has more stopping power than the 9mm.... ( if needed ) ...:D

JD~:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cameron, there's just one thing I can't get past on the XD. The trigger reset is way too long and cumbersome. Great gun otherwise.

JD, I always thought so too (about stopping power), and 15-20 years ago there was no argument. Recently though, ammo technology has advanced to the point where the differences between 9, .40, .45, and even .223 are minimal. They are all going to take 5-7 rounds on "average" to put a bad guy down.

montana

5 Year Member
They work ok .. Are accurate [as can be expected from a gun with rudimentary sights]..

For me and I have a few including two Glocks .. They don`t have the feel or the machined construction of the guns I really like ..

I do like the fact it dosn`t have a bunch of redundant safeties for the lawyers .[guns arn`t supposed to be safe ] ..

I believe that the best gun for a gun fight is the gun you have with you [Not the lazer sighted 44 desert eagle left back in the dresser drawer].

My choice is a S.W. bodyguard ...

B K

5 Year Member
I would have to go with the Springfield XD 45 but i also like the Glock

IMG00018-20091113-1609.jpg

Tom what type of pistol class are you taking

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Never had the pleasure to shoot one.. we use revolvers at work. .22 rifle and Tranq gun..
For home protection... give me a shotgun.. Big, easy to use, dont have to aim, and just the sound of it
will make someone stop.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
B K said:
Tom what type of pistol class are you taking

All of them. Shotgun and carbine too. General, advanced, night, concealed carry, F.A.T.S., live fire entry, advanced life fire entry, CCW, armorers, force on force with sims...

Here's my "school". Been going there since '98:
http://www.ftatv.com/

B K

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Never had the pleasure to shoot one.. we use revolvers at work. .22 rifle and Tranq gun..
For home protection... give me a shotgun.. Big, easy to use, dont have to aim, and just the sound of it
will make someone stop.

Stoeger Coach gun 12ga 20" the 45 is for clean up:D
Rem 7mm ultra mag for the ones that try to get away.
(Don't run you will just die tired)

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Goog post, personally I have only owned one handgun and its a Burgo .22 Revolver. Its so small I'm almost embarrassed to bring it out. I really don't know much about it and can't find any information about it. I have been thinking about getting a Glock when I get old enough lol.

Tyler

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Smithen said:
Goog post, personally I have only owned one handgun and its a Burgo .22 Revolver. Its so small I'm almost embarrassed to bring it out. I really don't know much about it and can't find any information about it. I have been thinking about getting a Glock when I get old enough lol.

Tyler

Tyler, remember these words when you get "old enough":

Knowledge is more important than the tool. Spend your money on proper instruction with a good school, not gadgets, lazers, and lots of new fangled guns that that you won't know how to use.

B K

5 Year Member
Smithen said:

Tyler

I believe they where made in Germany nice guns do you have the holster with it.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Tom said:
Smithen said:

Tyler

Tyler, remember these words when you get "old enough":

Knowledge is more important than the tool. Spend your money on proper instruction with a good school, not gadgets, lazers, and lots of new fangled guns that that you won't know how to use.

Ya I have never been a big fan of the lazers and stuff. I have always like to see how they work and the knowledge of the guns is what I really like. I have been more into black powder guns at the moment. I built a .50 Kentucky Longrifle from a kit and love it. I was thinking about building an old Pepperbox next.

B K said:
Smithen said:

Tyler

I believe they where made in Germany nice guns do you have the holster with it.

Sadly I do not, it was given to me by my grandfather a few years ago. I have only ever shot it once. It wasn't a bad little gun. I keep it locked away for now. I'm not able to get it out and shoot it much.

Tyler

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Glocks are dependable. Our M&P's have been outselling our glocks like crazy recently, and the sigs are always a stronger seller, but firearm selection is a very personal matter, and it always goes in waves. We were selling glocks steadily last month, but this week the M&P's are literally not even making it to the display cabinets. Next week it might be something else.

9mm is a nice round right now even just for ammo prices. $210 for 1,000 rounds of AE is not bad compared to almost double for .45. .40 is also pretty cheap though at $220-230 or so for 1,000 rounds of Fed. Of course I get it all for even cheaper :) I've talked to Tom enough for him to know that I'm partial to Sig Sauer, and sales show that a lot of other people feel the same way, but I also have my eye on a two tone 17. I think that will have to wait though, because I'm more interested in a secondhand 9mm 1911 that I think I'll have to take home with me.

Guns are always a fun discussion :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I've shot a few glocks, they never seemed to fit my hand right, and always felt sloppy to me. I had a sig chambered for their .357 (bottle-necked .40) which felt alot better to me and was fun to shoot, but I wound up letting that one go.

The gun I fell in love with and have never been able to part with was the CZ-75. From day one it just felt right. My second favorite is the browning hi-power (which the grip-shape of the CZ is a copy of).

Of course it is all about feel, and we all have different hands, tough to make a one size fits all.

Status
Not open for further replies.