Globe Chamomile (Oncosiphon piluliferum)???

Dovey

Location (City and/or State)
New River, AZ
Recently in the hills north of Phoenix, AZ we have had an absolute invasion of globe camomile, an invasive species from Africa. It has overtaken so much of our natural desert terrain and seems to be out competing a lot of our native forbs and grasses. Can my new Sonoran Desert tortoise eat this plant, or am I going to have a problem in the Spring when all of these noxious weeds comes up among my carefully seeded tortoise-friendly natives?
search

Dovey

New River, AZ
Recently in the hills north of Phoenix, AZ we have had an absolute invasion of globe camomile, an invasive species from Africa. It has overtaken so much of our natural desert terrain and seems to be out competing a lot of our native forbs and grasses. Can my new Sonoran Desert tortoise eat this plant, or am I going to have a problem in the Spring when all of these noxious weeds comes up among my carefully seeded tortoise-friendly natives?
search
globe-chamomile.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't like how it looks but that's just me. Anyway I would definitely not make it available to my American Desert Tortoise as it's not natural to their environment and is an invasive species of plant.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Generally the mayweeds are “feed in moderation” to “feed sparingly” so I wouldn’t go out of my way to feed it.

That said, I’d be surprised if your tortoise was terribly interested in it; the strong scent of chamomiles isn’t very tempting.

Use your own discretion, of course.