Glass

Brandon W

Location (City and/or State)
Rye Brook, New York
Hi everyone!!!
I recently purchased a baby Eastern Hermnanns Tortoise from Garden State Tortoises and he is doing great. Sadly i am currently keeping him in a glass terraium but I plan on moving him to a bigger enclosure once hes bigger. I understand that tortoises dont the concept of glass and he keeps trying to escape one of the glass walls but behind it there is already a wall, i am confused on how to stop this behavior since I already have something blocking his view so there no place he can go. Please help!!!
Thanks

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Nothing will completely stop it. He needs a bigger enclosure. If you have space and weather is good an outside enclosure would be ideal. Then bring him in for the night/ cold weather.

Brandon W

Rye Brook, New York
Nothing will completely stop it. He needs a bigger enclosure. If you have space and weather is good an outside enclosure would be ideal. Then bring him in for the night/ cold weather.
Thank you I'm planning on putting him outside once i feel comfortable with the outdoor set up

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You can heavily decorate the glass tank and you might see the behavior stop. I've used glass with leopard hatchlings and never had them "scratch to get out"
Lots of plants to hide under, go around, things to explore etc.

2vd4dbp.jpg

1qpr7p.jpg

2zgynfa.jpg

...just some ideas. There are endless options!

Brandon W

Rye Brook, New York
You can heavily decorate the glass tank and you might see the behavior stop. I've used glass with leopard hatchlings and never had them "scratch to get out"
Lots of plants to hide under, go around, things to explore etc.

2vd4dbp.jpg

1qpr7p.jpg

2zgynfa.jpg

...just some ideas. There are endless options!
Wow! Looks great thanks so much for the ideas!!