Glass Viv vs. Wodden closed chamber for Babyd

SeanH.

I'd love some opinions on which type of enclosure you'd prefere for a baby. Not sure about the species yet. Could be a Russian or a Cherry head... I know they require different climates, but as far as the care sheets I've read here both species need humidity as babies so...

I'm thinking the wooden one is easier to keep warm because it's more insulated. It's also easier to set up all the lighting i suppose.

On the other hand I can cover the glass viv with plexi glass to keep humidity in, but I can take it off just as easily when it get's too warm inside... It's also 100% waterproof. The wodden one is sealed with epoxi but still...

Sizes: - wood 4'x2'
- glass 5'x 20"

Any thoughts?

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0219.PNG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, if you go with wood, don't get that pressed kind shown in the picture. It is pieces of wood glued together and the glue stinks. Also, it doesn't hold up well in moist conditions.

I built all my tort tables out of exterior plywood. Glass is ok, but aquariums are so expensive and you'd need a pretty big one.

SeanH.

The pressed wood is supposed to be foraldehyde and silicone free and 100% pet friendly. It's also sealed with epoxi as I mentioned to waterproof it, so I don't think it'll fall apart anytime soon...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whichever one you get, remember it won't work for when they are adults. So go cheap on price and go for more space. They will need another one, bigger down the road a bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. I've built a lot of stuff and anything made out of that OSB or any kind of compressed and glued wood chip material never holds up.

The design of the wooden one could work, but I wouldn't take one made from that material if it were free.

The glass tank can work, but closing in the top without letting your heat and humidity escape is always difficult and problematic.