Glad to have found this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPEEDYGONZALEZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This site has been very helpful and I look forward to exploring more. My family and I purchased our Hermanns Tortoise in July of 2011 and we love him ( at least I think it's a him) very much. could someone tell me how you can tell the sex? some say look at how long the tail is but some say you can not tell until they are about 5 years old I don't even know how old he his I do know when we got him he was small but not tiny he has almost grown 4 times since then. I believe he is really heathy. Today we decided to give him 2 butter worms, was that ok? the pet store said it would be but I still need to find out from someone that knows. I thought they only eat veggies and some fruit not meat. Thank-you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi SPEEDYGONZALEZ:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Your Hermann's tortoise MIGHT sample a butter worm, but worms are not a regular part of a vegetation-eating tortoise. I wouldn't offer him worms.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Did he eat them? If he did, then my take is perhaps he needed what they could offer to his diet. I think we humans may be way off, when we say not to feed our more greens only type tortoises things like the worms. I would bet anything they eat a lot more of those items in the wild then we think. Any how, glad your here. If you post pictures, we may be able to guess your tortoises sex, depending on it's size and development.

Status
Not open for further replies.