Given the rundown

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well im getting a greek spur thighed tortoise in a few weeks and making preparations. Can anyone give me some general info on the temperatures and humidity levels they need as well as personality and other basics. Thanks.

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Like substrate and some diet. I was very interested in a red-foot tortoise but no one near me sells them and so i opted for a greek tortoise.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yea I have a concern on substrate, I was thinking newspaper temporarily and then moving onto sand or something I'm really lost on it. I don't want to cause it impaction or anything.

And thanks.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can go straight to the substrate your going to use. Sand is not a good substrate alone. An organic soil/sand substrate is a good choice. You want it in a 75/25 mix, soil to sand.
Also you can use finely shredded aspen bedding.

Danny

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Right cool I am worried about humidity as well. I live in NE USA and it can get a bit humid in the summer some days. I have a nice plastic rubbermaid tub ready for the little guy and I am not sure that it will have the proper air circulation needed to keep the humidity low enough. Its completely open top tub.

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Also a quick question on temperment, does it vary from tortoise to tortoise or are the all inherently characteristic x ? x being whatever adjective you would like to insert concerning there personality.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
SleepyWilly, I have greeks and I think they have wonderful personallites. Mine are energentic and often come when called (looking for food I am sure). The CB are more social than my wild caught. And yes I think it does vary some from tort to tort. Greeks tend to like it a little dry but my hatchlings seem to tolerate a little more humidity. Here lately (i'm in So. Ca) it has been fairly humid about 60% and they are doing fine. I currently have mine on shredded Aspen. It is light weight and light colored so easy to see any messes. It also has vertually no dust a plus for a person with allergies.
Congrats on your new greek. Please post pics when s/he arrives.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm in NE also and all my greeks don't mind the high air humidity.

Danny

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
I'm in NE also and all my greeks don't mind the high air humidity.

Danny

Oh really nice I was a little worried about that, so for my setup so far I have
a rubber-maid tub thats roughly 3ftx2ft and i was thinking a mecury vapor bulb on one side and a ceramic bulb on the other both 100watts. Think that will be ok to maintain the heat in the winter? During the summer im gonna bring him outside for a romp in the grass and such.

Of course ill post pics of it when it arrives, its coming from a petstore so i hope its a spur thighed that I get :p gonna be a couple of weeks at least though they are special ordering it for me.
Thanks so much for your help you guys.

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are spur thighs considered mediteranean tortoises or desert tortoises? I'm confused on this.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
As long as your mercury vapor bulb puts out UVB rays your all set. I would skip the ceramic bulb as you will be giving to much heat. Just go with a regular 2 foot florscent light and your combined heat and UVB bulb.
Most Testudo tortoises are considered Mediterranean tortoises, with Testudo graeca being either Sur-thighed tortoise or Greek tortoise.
Desert tortoises are Gopherus agassizi and can not be sold.

Danny

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
As long as your mercury vapor bulb puts out UVB rays your all set. I would skip the ceramic bulb as you will be giving to much heat. Just go with a regular 2 foot florscent light and your combined heat and UVB bulb.
Most Testudo tortoises are considered Mediterranean tortoises, with Testudo graeca being either Sur-thighed tortoise or Greek tortoise.
Desert tortoises are Gopherus agassizi and can not be sold.

Danny

I see how low can the temps go during the night? Cause thats why i wanted the ceramic bulb for winter nights it can get pretty cold.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If your night time temperatures don't go below 60F, than you don't need supplemental heat.

Danny

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok, what about the cool side during the day? It can get pretty hot and the AC doesn't work well upstairs and i don't want it to overheat.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
They need a cool spot with shelter at room temperature (approx 20ºC or 68ºF) as well as the hot spot under the basking lamp (approx 30-35ºC or 85-95ºF). Similarly a daily temperature cycle is important so the night-time temperature should be allowed to drop to normal room temperature (approx 17-20ºC or 62.6-68ºF ) at night, just as in the wild.
Above is from the Tlady’s Guide at http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/NatRearAccom.htm

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well thanks for all the help, but apparently there was only a redfoot on the order form so, im getting a red foot instead. Thanks alot though very helpful.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
SleepyWilly, You are getting a redfoot? is this the tort you wanted? They take very different care.
Info for Redfoots on Turletary.com and Redfoots.com

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
SleepyWilly, You are getting a redfoot? is this the tort you wanted? They take very different care.
Info for Redfoots on Turletary.com and Redfoots.com

I was told that i was getting a greek then a redfoot was on the order-sheet so i was getting that instead, now apparently im being told that the shop needs a redfoot license to sell them or there illegal in my state idk the specficiitites but im getting a greek instead lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.