Given a sick box turtle and would like some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayerReptiles

5 Year Member
I was given a "chinese yellow ornate box turtle" by a person I know that didn't have the time to look after her anymore. She was bought from a local store 2-3 years ago. I got her today and was horrified at the shape she is in. Her tank has bark chips, and a hide that not even half of her fits in. They were feeding her salmon cat food. The entire top of her head is a scab and all of her joints are split open and scabby aswell. I don't think she has ever been bathed, since she has been here she has tried swimming in the 2 cm of water at the bottom of her tiny dish several times.

I don't have much experience with turtles, I do breed bearded dragons and have alot of supplies. Sofar she is being upgraded to a 55 galon tank and im trying to find something a little bigger for water.. but past that I don't know what to do next.

Thank-you in advance!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would take it to a vet ASAP also I would apply a triple antibiotic to her wounds until it can be seem by a qualified vet.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would give her a long soak in some warm water, then after that paste antibiotic ointment over anything that's open and tomorrow get her to a vet...
Diet is omnivorous. They will eat some fruits and veggies, but are known to eat snails, worms, and bugs in the wild. "Turtle pellets" and small amounts of cat food may be fed. She might not recognize fruit as food but you might try feeding her some melon or cut open grapes.
She'll want an area with water that she can get in and she'll want a hide to sleep in.

MayerReptiles

5 Year Member
There are no vets within hours of were I live and The last time I traveled to see one was a very sorry $200 disappointment (the vet knew less then I did about the animal).

I will go give her a nice warm water soak now, is there a special type of antibiotic for these guys or is polysporin acceptable?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would use the triple antibiotic one name brand neosporin but there are also store brands I am sure exoticdr will chime in and offer some good advice

M

Maggie Cummings

MayerReptiles said:
There are no vets within hours of were I live and The last time I traveled to see one was a very sorry $200 disappointment (the vet knew less then I did about the animal).

I will go give her a nice warm water soak now, is there a special type of antibiotic for these guys or is polysporin acceptable?

We have a long list with Vets on it, you could tell us where you live, or look at the list yourself and see if there's an exotic Vet close to you...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know much about this kind of turtle, but I THINK that they are semi-aquatic. They like to be in the water. You can tilt the habitat and have cypress mulch on the upper half with water down below.

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

MayerReptiles

5 Year Member
I will try to get some pictures up once I figure it out! I have always wanted a tortoise or turtle but havent had the time to properly look into one before make a purchase! I will ahve to learn fast now!!

Is the vet list in a forum on the site?

My name is Miranda and I live up in Southern Alberta.

She had a good soak lastnight and we put on some triple anti-biotic we found at the store, she seems to be more active today sofar. I also put a really good UVB bulb on her new tank and she is LOVING that!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Miranda:

We depend upon our members to give us the names of good reptile vets and I'm sorry to say that we don't have any from Canadian members on the list yet.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
we do have several canadian members perhaps they could recommend a good vet.

MayerReptiles

5 Year Member
Hello all!

I thought I would give an update! I cleaned out her old tank yesturday and it was full of mites and very moldy underneath. I havent seen any mites in the new tank so hopefully none decide to show up. Her soars look better and she has been really active. She seems much happier being on peatmoss then bark chips. I've been doing some re-arranging so hopefully in the next couple of days she will be in a 270 gallon tank. The girl I got her from told me that I have to put olive oil on her shell? I don't really want to blindly listen to anything she says to do so I would appreciate some instruction!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Look at it this way - in the wild, is there someone going around putting olive oil on all the box turtles shells?

No, there isn't. There is no reason to put olive oil on her shell, especially since it is a perishable item.

If she has mites, she will have to be treated for them. Are you able to get a picture of what you saw? They could possibly just be springtails.

MayerReptiles

5 Year Member
Ya, I didn't think that was right... I don't know were she got any of her information... All of them are gone, I ahve been keeping a good eye on her and havent seen any on her or in the new tank. They were tiny, white, and EVERYWERE. When I say tiny, I mean about the size of a pin pick, itsy bitsy

Status
Not open for further replies.