Ginger and the glove

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
This is an Eastern box turtle named Ginger. She loves snails slugs worms fruit and some times even stuff that was never food. This little turtle is hungry all the time. She's personable and outgoing. I roam around my pens lifting up rocks and blocks and plant pots looking for slugs and anything else that's slimy for her. This time I was wearing my gardening gloves...I had 2 big slugs in my right hand and was handing them down to her, but she grabbed my finger, (rubber glove), and wouldn't let go...
100_7534.JPG
I tried for a couple of minutes to get my finger loose, but I'm thinking because I had slugs and worms in that hand previously my glove must have smelled good and she wasn't going to let go and miss that great meal...lol...darn turtle anyway. So I lifted her up in the air watching to see if she'd let go, nope, so I carried her in the air all thru the house gonna take pictures...
100_7532.JPG
I actually have had her grab my finger at times and she does not let go so she draws blood...you can see a slug on the substrate but she ain't letting go.
100_7531.JPG
I freakin love this picture, graceful arms...
100_7530.JPG
I squeezed her jaw but their bones feel so fragile, I didn't press hard. How does anybody get that lock jaw turtle to release, any suggestions?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Wow, never would have thought those little buggers to be so vicious LOL
What if you try to dangled a worm or another type of favorite food just off to the side. Maybe lowering her into water will make her release?
Great pics!
Look at the middle photo, see the slug (her favorite food) she COULD be biting that slug...

Cloud Atlas, North Carolina
I think you need to stop changing the sex's of my animals...This the turtle sent to me from that rescue in the Midwest somewhere. The one was supposedly blind. Oh hell...I'm gonna go look at some turtle butt...
If she's blind maybe that explains why she cant distinguish fingers that feed from food? Good thing you had on gloves!