Giant torts in LA?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Well the obvious place is the San Diego zoo, they have different subspecies of Galapagos there along with other tortoises. It’s been years since I went to the LA zoo, I don’t remember what tortoises they had.
you need to check the temporature. I went to San Diego in Jan last year. The temperature is not high at that time around 70F. The zookeeper said the tortoises are all in a room around an oven, so we don't see anything there.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
THe wife and I were supervised by two keepers and in a word-mugged. The male could not get enough neck rubs! If we gave the other female that came over some attention he would amble over. There was another female in the enclosure, but she stayed in a sunny spot away from us. We did not disturb her and we had more than enough neck rubs to provide. No food was offered just pure human interaction

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
A zoo might just make me sad and there'd be no chance of feeding or neck scratching but thanks for the idea.

Not true at all. The SanD Zoo is a great place and very big and I've scratched the Galaps necks every time I've been there. They seem to love it. They have just a low wall about 3' or so along the front of their habitat and if you want to hang out awhile they'll come over and see you. Enjoy for me as well.

Quadro

SC
I think zoos have come along way from the past and some are even highly accredited to this day if you think about it the way the world is going be it natural or man made faults that may be the only way you get to see certain species or children’s children will get to see certain species also some have very good conservation programs just my opinion

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I think zoos have come along way from the past and some are even highly accredited to this day if you think about it the way the world is going be it natural or man made faults that may be the only way you get to see certain species or children’s children will get to see certain species also some have very good conservation programs just my opinion

Absolutely correct. Myself included the vast vast majority of Gods creatures most of us will never see in person. I believe good zoos with good habitats and care are important for encouraging conservation programs and interest in nature.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I’m glad to hear positive feedback about zoos. I haven’t been to many and the ones I have been to were overseas and pretty terrible for the animals. I guess I had just assumed that since so many people think it’s ok to keep their beloved pet tortoise in a tiny box that the zoos would be doing the same. I stand corrected. Glad to hear that they are well kept Maybe I’ll check one out!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Plain and simple some zoos currently house some of the last remaining members of a species that MAN has decimated in the wild. Some are much better than others and most are better than when I was a child-oh the bear cages! The vet care alone they provide alllows for a much longer and better life for the animal. Busch Gardens Tampa- Sloths live an average lifespan of about 10 years in the wild, but in managed care like Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, they may live until their twenties. Two-toed sloth, Harry, is estimated to be in his late forties, making him one of the oldest sloths in the world. He was sound asleep when we walked by,but wow.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
LaLaP, this has been an enjoyable thread, with a bit of interesting debate coming into it, and I hope it continues during your trip or after it with some pics for us to drool over!:tort::)

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Donate to be member of Turtle Conservancy at Ojai , CA . Schedule a tour and do all the neck scratching you want all day long