Ghido and Chi chi's cuteness thread

dmills4229

Location (City and/or State)
CRYSTAL CITY
Two questions.

1. The health of your tortoises looks to be perfect. Do clip their nails?
2. The next enclosure for my red foot will be like this. With live plants and all, do you anticipate performing a "whole swap" of the substrate or do you just spot clean? How does that go?

Thanks and fantastic job!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Two questions.

1. The health of your tortoises looks to be perfect. Do clip their nails?
2. The next enclosure for my red foot will be like this. With live plants and all, do you anticipate performing a "whole swap" of the substrate or do you just spot clean? How does that go?

Thanks and fantastic job!

Thank you! I really appreciate that!

I don't clip their nails. I just put 2 fairly large slate slabs in each enclosure so when they walk or go to eat they do it all themselves, including filing their beaks. Easy for all evolved! Lol

I have just spot cleaned so far really. With soaking daily for the 30- 40 minutes it tends to stay pretty clean in both enclosures. My redfoot is a bit dirtier than my leopard in terms of poo messes, but my leopard likes to knock things over and pull things out. Every so often I do mix up all the substrate though just to evenly distribute the moisture and I think it keeps things nicer ?‍♀️ but it could just be my imagination lol. I also have springtails and pill bugs in each enclosure to help with cleanup ?
I will do a whole swap if I can find orchid bark cheap enough to do 2 3ft x 6 ft enclosures though in a heartbeat. Right now its straight cypress.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ya when you first get them you think it's going to be long before they're big but it happens quicker than you imagine!
No kidding! I'm excited and happy, But he was also so dang cute as this little half dollar tortie ?

He's also getting way more brave which makes me super proud! He now comes out even when my husband is around lol