Getting your tortoise to trust you...

TortillaandGamera

Location (City and/or State)
Hebden Bridge, UK
My sister learned the hard way about hand feeding. Her tortoise, Bob, was a sulcata and weighed over 100lbs. All his life she handed him treats. One morning she handed him a piece of cantaloupe and he got her finger. He wouldn't let go because he didn't want her taking the cantaloupe away. She ended up at the emergency room getting stitches.
Ooofff. I’ll be careful. Tbh Gamera the smaller one grabbed my finger by accident a few weeks ago as I gave him abit of carrot, and he ended up upside down as I kind of flipped my finger away as an automatic reaction (because ouch, it does hurt!) and he was still attached! He was ok though! On reflection, neither of us has done that since;)

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
Consistency seems to be the thing that is biggest for me. They see and hear you in the morning for water change and checks, later for soaks and more food,
and again later to check before bed. I also bring a treat of flowers whenever I mess with them to help make them tolerate me. Otherwise, I keep my handling to a minimum and they do just fine. I have an older RT who will not like me for a day after a beak trim, but what are ya gonna do?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hand feeding helps. I'm also very careful to never make quick motions near(1 to 2 ft away) my tortoise and if I plan to physically interact with him I greet him with my voice and by offering my hand to his nose so he can smell me. I like to make sure he knows it's me. I think the routine also helps him know something might be coming and mentally prepare or show me hes uninterested in interacting.
I hand fed my leopard when he was off colour last year and it took months to get him back to feeding himself which he had done for the three previous years. He would wait until I sat near his food and then he would practically climb into my lap and eat from my hand, but if I left him to it he would ignore his food. It sounds cute but its very time consuming and a worry that he wouldn't eat if I wasn't there. Thankfully he's back to normal now but some torts get too used to it.

Jules321

Canton MI
Awww that's so sad-Im happy he is doing better. I would say what I hand feed is less than 10% of his total food intake. I think everything else I mentioned -just being consistent, patient, and slow is the most important in getting a tortoise to trust.
I hand fed my leopard when he was off colour last year and it took months to get him back to feeding himself which he had done for the three previous years. He would wait until I sat near his food and then he would practically climb into my lap and eat from my hand, but if I left him to it he would ignore his food. It sounds cute but its very time consuming and a worry that he wouldn't eat if I wasn't there. Thankfully he's back to normal now but some torts get too used to it.