Getting worried :s

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Right, the heat and humidity has really shot up here in Cyprus over the last week or so and next week, the breeze is apparently going to die down completely and the heat is suppose to be getting even hotter :s in work, we keep and hourly record of the temp 24/7 and at the mo it's hitting between 35 and 38 between 11 and 4, about 8am its about 26/27 degrees, after 4pm its still early 30s, even thru the night, it's hot, last night it was 23degrees at 3am :eek: now, next week, like I said, the summer starts officially, and it's apparently going to be hitting the early 40s during the day, god knows what at night lol now I'm getting worried that this is going to affect the torts :( I know they come out early and late in the evening when it's hot and hide during the hotter parts of the day but still, with it not really dropping below 20 now, is this a problem?? They have and I've made sure that they have got the best shelter possible and plenty of it available but even shelter gets hot surely!! I soak them for an hour every other day when I'm on shift for 2weeks then when I get a week off, there soaked every day!! Just don't want them struggling!! Yea ok, there mediterranean species but can they still struggle??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
yoda3106 said:
Right, the heat and humidity has really shot up here in Cyprus over the last week or so and next week, the breeze is apparently going to die down completely and the heat is suppose to be getting even hotter :s in work, we keep and hourly record of the temp 24/7 and at the mo it's hitting between 35 and 38 between 11 and 4, about 8am its about 26/27 degrees, after 4pm its still early 30s, even thru the night, it's hot, last night it was 23degrees at 3am :eek: now, next week, like I said, the summer starts officially, and it's apparently going to be hitting the early 40s during the day, god knows what at night lol now I'm getting worried that this is going to affect the torts :( I know they come out early and late in the evening when it's hot and hide during the hotter parts of the day but still, with it not really dropping below 20 now, is this a problem?? They have and I've made sure that they have got the best shelter possible and plenty of it available but even shelter gets hot surely!! I soak them for an hour every other day when I'm on shift for 2weeks then when I get a week off, there soaked every day!! Just don't want them struggling!! Yea ok, there mediterranean species but can they still struggle??
Greeks will do what comes naturally if it gets too hot for them and aestivate (sleep).

You are doing what you can regarding soaking them... they'll probably enjoy being "watered" with a hose pipe or watering can as well.

Put food out before you go to bed so they can tuck in when they wake up which may be very early, possibly in the dark. Wash all food you give so it is soaking wet... it forces them to take water on board!

Keep a track on their weight. If there is a sudden dip from lack of eating, you may have to bring them inside if it's cooler.

They really don't need direct sunlight if they are outdoors in weather like yours. Other than that... perhaps a fan?

yoda3106

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Greeks will do what comes naturally if it gets too hot for them and aestivate (sleep).

You are doing what you can regarding soaking them... they'll probably enjoy being "watered" with a hose pipe or watering can as well.

Put food out before you go to bed so they can tuck in when they wake up which may be very early, possibly in the dark. Wash all food you give so it is soaking wet... it forces them to take water on board!

Keep a track on their weight. If there is a sudden dip from lack of eating, you may have to bring them inside if it's cooler.

They really don't need direct sunlight if they are outdoors in weather like yours. Other than that... perhaps a fan?

They do sleep alot during the hotter parts of the day, I hardly see them during the day, they may come out for a little but it's very rare, Fred was today then when I was hanging out the washing, I watched him go in and hide away!!

How would you get them with a hose pipe? When there out and sprinkle them with the mist, making sure it hits them straight or different and for how long?? Will they not get to cold??

That's a very good idea with the food, I'm going to start putting it out at night an see if they come out and take it during the night, at the mo they come out about 10 in the morning to eat, then disappear!!

I do weight them, 2 times a month, they seem to be gaining steadily :)

I'm thinking of getting palm tree like branches to hang off the hutch so it drapes over the enclosure to provide a lot of shade!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
yoda3106 said:
How would you get them with a hose pipe? When there out and sprinkle them with the mist, making sure it hits them straight or different and for how long?? Will they not get to cold??
I'd use a sprinkler head on the hose like this. Or even a lawn sprinkler... that's what Aldabraman does. If it's too cold they'll just move out of the way.

yoda3106 said:
I do weight them, 2 times a month, they seem to be gaining steadily :)
You have little worry about, I think.

yoda3106 said:
I'm thinking of getting palm tree like branches to hang off the hutch so it drapes over the enclosure to provide a lot of shade!!

I really think you need a large area high level shade... maybe a gazebo?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Plants are a good source for shade. Does not get as hot as say a wooden tort house. Also, if it gets too hot, soak a shaded area of their enclosure where they can get in to to cool down, the water and shade will make it much cooler then sun and water. Just make sure the wet shaded area does not get too cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.