Getting rid of earwigs and spiders :-(

dprince

Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, CA
Hello all,

I am having the worst time with earwigs and spiders in my enclosed tortoise enclosure. :-( I can only guess they came in with the substrate and/or live plants. What is the best way to get rid of them? Thanks in advance! :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm guessing here, but I think you would have to do a change of substrate. What kind of substrate do you use?

If you bake the substrate in the oven before you use it it will kill any bugs in there. But if the spiders and earwigs are in the house, they'll just come back.

I don't think I've been very helpful ??...hopefully someone will have an idea for you.

dprince

Auburn, CA
I'm guessing here, but I think you would have to do a change of substrate. What kind of substrate do you use?

If you bake the substrate in the oven before you use it it will kill any bugs in there. But if the spiders and earwigs are in the house, they'll just come back.

I don't think I've been very helpful ??...hopefully someone will have an idea for you.

Thanks Karen. I bought orchid bark and plants from the local nursery. I don't have earwigs and spiders in the house - except in the enclosure. :-(

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I was having that problem a while back when i was buying bulk from local nursery where the bags were kept outside.. now i spend a bit more and just buy the zoo med brand to save me the aggravation

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
diatomaceous earth works in DRY substrate, but as soon as it gets wet it no longer works. I would take the substrate outside and spread it out on a tarp in the sun allowing it to dry completely, then spread DE over it and mix it up. Hopefully the bugs will either die or head for the hills.

dprince

Auburn, CA
diatomaceous earth works in DRY substrate, but as soon as it gets wet it no longer works. I would take the substrate outside and spread it out on a tarp in the sun allowing it to dry completely, then spread DE over it and mix it up. Hopefully the bugs will either die or head for the hills.

Thanks Yvonne! :)