getting ready to put my tortoise outside full time

Changa

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
Same thing happened with a young YF tortoise I put outside two weeks ago. But two days ago the food was gone and this a.m I actually saw him out and eating
Yvonne,
I getting ready to put my sully outside. question? Is there a list of some kind to go by with the enclosure

15609652827961130424255219720208.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll give you my opinion on your enclosure.

Depending upon the size of your sulcata, it's not big enough.

I would buy some 1x12 boards and put them around on the inside of the fence so he can't see out. This will also protect the chain link from him digging at it and destroying it. They're worse than a dog about destroying a fence.

You'll need a section of permanent shade, a hiding place in that shade, a waterer and a large feeding tile. I would also plant something before he gets moved in that so it has a head start on growing.

Anybody else have some thoughts on this subject?

Changa

Ca
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll give you my opinion on your enclosure.

Depending upon the size of your sulcata, it's not big enough.

I would buy some 1x12 boards and put them around on the inside of the fence so he can't see out. This will also protect the chain link from him digging at it and destroying it. They're worse than a dog about destroying a fence.

You'll need a section of permanent shade, a hiding place in that shade, a waterer and a large feeding tile. I would also plant something before he gets moved in that so it has a head start on growing.

Anybody else have some thoughts on this subject?
this is temporary
This is dory and then I have my 1 yr old

20190610_075609.jpg

AzDesert

metro Phx, AZ
I have had sulcatas for 20+ years, and through trial and error I finally figured out a lot...but still learning. I never put my sullies outside alone until they are too big to be picked up by birds/owls, hawks etc. Unless it has a good top on the enclosure. Even in the city, it can happen!!! (our neighbors super fat chihuahua was snatched up by an owl 2 yrs ago- right smack in the city)
Make it big, as they need room to roam, and give them "activities" (aka, hills, tunnels, mudhole, shrubs) otherwise they get bored and start digging. They need a shade/covered hideaway area too.
I agree 100% that the enclosure should be in a way that the torts can't see out from the inside. They can and WILL find a way to get out LOL! Had one dig under my side gate and was wandering down my street..... then we moved to some farmland and he decided to escape my under chainlink fence and found him 1/2 mile down the way. ultimately we put 18" boards along the fence so they can't see out, and problem solved!!

Changa

Ca
I have had sulcatas for 20+ years, and through trial and error I finally figured out a lot...but still learning. I never put my sullies outside alone until they are too big to be picked up by birds/owls, hawks etc. Unless it has a good top on the enclosure. Even in the city, it can happen!!! (our neighbors super fat chihuahua was snatched up by an owl 2 yrs ago- right smack in the city)
Make it big, as they need room to roam, and give them "activities" (aka, hills, tunnels, mudhole, shrubs) otherwise they get bored and start digging. They need a shade/covered hideaway area too.
I agree 100% that the enclosure should be in a way that the torts can't see out from the inside. They can and WILL find a way to get out LOL! Had one dig under my side gate and was wandering down my street..... then we moved to some farmland and he decided to escape my under chainlink fence and found him 1/2 mile down the way. ultimately we put 18" boards along the fence so they can't see out, and problem solved!!
my 3 yr old is bored and for now the enclosure is temporary but I do get it:)
Ok no windows, pently of activities got it
Thank u :<3:

AzDesert

metro Phx, AZ
Good luck and have fun! It really is sort of fun creating an enclosure! I have 4 large enclosures and 1 small one.... just finished them up 2 weeks ago and still tweaking them a bit here and there. (pics attached) I am still growing grass, planting more shrubs, and have to board up the chainlink in the back. These are for my large sulcatas and aldabras. The smaller one is for my younger sullies or my radiated torts - whoever grows faster in the next year LOL! sulcata enclosures from the back.jpg future tort home .jpg

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
What everyone told you is wrong... j/k, they are all correct. Borders are not to be see-thru. It has to be large enough or else the tortoise will do everything it can to escape. They already said that. Here is my input - Have fun. Plant tortoise-edible plants (www.tortoisesupply.com has seeds). For me, the outdoor enclosure has become a fun endeavor that I was not expecting. Outdoors is really best, even if just part-time outdoors. I am getting a landscaper to build a new tortoise run among other things because I am obsessed with having as beautiful an enclosure as some of the pics I have seen on this forum. Going with faced brick and mortar walls this time. All for one little tortoise. People here understand.

drew54

Indiana

Totally agree!