Getting ready for the snow

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
We live quite rural too in an area that isn't used to snow. We have the same sketchy power lines with scary trees dangling over them. Lucky for us we have a standing invitation by a friend up the road who has a wood stove and is critter friendly. At least the power goes out on a consistent basis (aka we can tell when it's likely to go) so we turn the heat up and hunker down. Our policy is that when the tort tanks dip to 65 we are hopping in the car, bring our best bottle of wine, some board games and visiting friends.

We just got approved to buy a house though and it has great chimneys so I see a wood stove or two in my future.
Wood stoves are pretty nice to have. I had one in my house but I turned that room into a bird room :rolleyes:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Any sign of the snowmageddon yet?

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
Thats a lot of snow in one shot hopefully u don't get it. we are getting another inch here i am getting tired of all our little snow showers.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What other snow preparations are you making?

We usually make sure we have propane for the BBQ for warm food and hot water bottles for critters and some big buckets of well water to flush the toilets with since our well pump is electric. Oh and we fully charge all of the tablets and laptops and what not so we don't have to resort to conversation. :p

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
In my area, 30 miles west of DC, they are projecting between 30"-50" of snow this weekend. Wish me luck!

is

A pic of the last snowstorm here, in JAN 2015.

I hope you and Gillian and all the animals stay safe and warm!
Our temps are rising! They are going from -4'C yesterday to 13'C on the weekend - crazy weather!!!!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
What other snow preparations are you making?

We usually make sure we have propane for the BBQ for warm food and hot water bottles for critters and some big buckets of well water to flush the toilets with since our well pump is electric. Oh and we fully charge all of the tablets and laptops and what not so we don't have to resort to conversation. :p
Our pump is electric too...so we are planning on filling the bathtubs and we have several gallons of water standing by. The generator can power a couple space heaters for the birds and the CHE's for the tortoises. I stocked up on animal food and somewhat on people food. Other than that...I'm just hoping for the best! And I have the car charger ready to charge up phones and tablets :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hope everything goes good for you and your critters, and also hope you are far enough west to not be in the blizzard area like us here in colonial beach. I am planning to bring 4 of the 5 outside sulcatas inside to ease my mind, (less to worry about). We have never experienced heavy snow with steady 40+ mph winds here on the river before, another new adventure....

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Hope everything goes good for you and your critters, and also hope you are far enough west to not be in the blizzard area like us here in colonial beach. I am planning to bring 4 of the 5 outside sulcatas inside to ease my mind, (less to worry about). We have never experienced heavy snow with steady 40+ mph winds here on the river before, another new adventure....
Thank you, I hope you and your family/torts stay safe. We too are expecting high winds...fingers crossed we don't lose power!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Well, the snow has arrived. If I still have electricity later I'll give everyone an update. Its coming down fast and hard right now. Hope everyone has a good, safe weekend!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Well, the snow has arrived. If I still have electricity later I'll give everyone an update. Its coming down fast and hard right now. Hope everyone has a good, safe weekend!

In Philly waiting for it to start. I think we are expecting about 18 inches.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thinking of you all and hoping you are all safe and warm.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
These pics were taken this afternoon in the front yard of the Maryland house, The deer are eating English Ivy (which is supposed to be toxic) They are getting ready for a deep snow.frontyardhunt.jpg frontyardhunt2.jpg It is snowing hard here at the beach but no winds yet.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
On the contrast I drove around with my windows down today. Sure, I had the heat on, but there was SUN! A rare treat for us Oregonians in the winter.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Other than resorting to eating out of boredom, all is well.

May I suggest a weather alert drinking game? Assign certain values to certain words like "Snow" "Blizzard" "Hazard" "Accident" etc and take a sip or a shot every time they interrupt your show to tell you about Stormageddon. This is how we handle inclement weather.