Getting my tortoise to eat better

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
My little man is the snobbiest reptile I've ever met and has an appetite for the weird. He has been given way to many nutritionally lacking leaves in the start of his life and will not go for the diet I try to give him and we end up back at square one . He eats a mix of romaine lettuce , lambs lettuce , spring greens the odd fruit now and then and he eats the dandelion flavour pellets but when ever I try him with good weeds he look at me like " you eat it " . In the summer he was outside a lot and had a full run of the garden and what does he eat ? Fox poo !!! . I have brought an indoor tortoise weed kit and I'm planning to grow it within the enclosure and then I think I have to be strict and leave nothing but that in till his will breaks . Anyone who has had this issue please advise me on the best way to do this ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you tried chopping up the good stuff and mixing it in with the chopped up bad stuff, spritz with water and feed. As he eats this, you slowly back off on the bad stuff adding more of the good stuff u til there is no more bad. Do it slowly over about a week or two. You can also do,the tuff love like you mentioned. Maybe do what I mentioned above until you plants are of eating size.