Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I had an African Grey in the last for 18 years. They're very much like having a child. Very intelligent and very emotional. They require a great deal of attention, training, foraging opportunities, toys, constructive out of cage time, baths, sunshine, proper diet. In those days, many parrots wings were clipped, and people were talking about allowing parrots to fly. Despite my best efforts, she did develop some neurosis and began to pluck her feathers. After medical issues were ruled out, I was told it was like " nail biting". Once it started, it was hard to stop. Our parrots in captivity aren't flying miles a day, they generally don't have a true " flock", aren't raising babies and live with a variety of fears.
This parrot died in 2005.
Last year I purchased a Grey from a great Breeder in Texas. She was fledged and unfortunately her wings were trimmed before she was shipped.
I have allowed her wings to grow out. we had a lot of work to do around the house, to prepare for safe flying. All blinds were changed, to prevent her nails getting caught. Vertical blinds were hung on all downstairs windows. All mirrors were taken down.
When she is out to fly the following check list is reviewed:
Doors locked, all blinds are pulled down and partially closed, bathroom doors closed, sink water is drained, make sure the stove is off, dogs water bowl is covered, flat screen T.V.s are turned on, ceiling fans are off. I'm sure there is more.
Her cage is centrally located in the house, so she is part of the family. We generally eat our meals with her, as her flock would do. She is taken outside twice daily for walks in a stroller with the dogs. This parrot has traveled, in a truck and travel trailer over 10,000 miles, in the last year. We're traveling at this moment. It's good for them to get out and see things.View attachment 192449View attachment 192450View attachment 192451
We don't cook with teflon and don't use aresols in the house.
We're very careful with our reinforcements, as one can easily encourage an undesirable behavior, by accident. That can be a nightmare.
Dogs are so much easier, but I take great joy in having a parrot in the house. She's like our child.

I'm very impressed, Kathy. My daughter's african grey gets nowhere near that consideration (shame, shame).

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Actually, that's a parrotlet (Forpus coelestis).
Actually , your right ! here is a little more information about genus Forpus for anyone who might be interested in minutiae ! Thanks so much for pointing that information out !

Forpus parrots, also known as parrotlets, are sexually dimorphic. Males have somewhat dull colors but have a bright blue streak on their wings and eye. Females have bright colors and do not have the blue on the wing. They may or may not have it on the eye. Some parrotlet species are exceptions; but it is usually easy to tell them apart.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Only reason I said that was because in the '50's folks in Peru and Equador would rob the nests of the local Brotogeris, hand feed the babies and carry them around in their pockets prior to shipping them to the U.S. as "hand tamed pocket parrots." The brotogeris is a little bigger than your parrotlet, but every bit as charming. I raised them for many years.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Only reason I said that was because in the '50's folks in Peru and Equador would rob the nests of the local Brotogeris, hand feed the babies and carry them around in their pockets prior to shipping thwners areem to the U.S. as "hand tamed pocket parrots." The brotogeris is a little bigger than your parrotlet, but every bit as charming. I raised them for many years.
There are also quite a few wild caught parrotlets still coming in from Southern Mexico and being sold as captive bred birds . I guess it has pros and cons ! Pros are introducing new breeders , cons might be that possibly first time parrot owners are attempting to tame a wild bird and get a bad introduction to the world of parrots ! It can be done , but is a lot more time consuming and may give a bad name to genus Forpus !

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm very impressed, Kathy. My daughter's african grey gets nowhere near that consideration (shame, shame).

Thanks Yvonne!! I have to say, being retired allows me to do all of this. If I was working, I'd certainly do my best but there's no way it could be this good.

OliveW

Branford, FL
A pet store in a nearby town has an African Grey that is not for sale, he just hangs out there during the day with his owner.

He only has feathers on his head, the rest of him looks like one of those squeaky chicken toys for dogs. I didn't even notice him there until one day I was looking at a fat frog and someone behind me said, "Hey you!" I turned around and this the parrot said, "Yeah, you! Get over here!" 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.