Get to know you ( kind of )

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Who here knows how many species of turtle there are in the world? And what's everyone's favorite? [emoji1] I'll start with mine. I really like soft shelled turtles. No specific species but all of them. I would love to own one some day. I like how flat they are. [emoji117] Your turn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is a species of softshell that looks like it has no neck. I really like that one. But my favorite chelonian, and there are two, are box turtles and Manouria.

Dudhwalive_chitra.JPG

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh wow that guys is very cool! He is humongous lol. I think soft shells are very cool. I've never actually seen one in person before. Next year it is my goal to see one. Box turtles are one of my favorites as well. What does a Manouria look like? I will Google it. Thank you for replying to this post I was trying to start an interesting thread to learn about the different turtles we all love [emoji846]

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh wow that guys is very cool! He is humongous lol. I think soft shells are very cool. I've never actually seen one in person before. Next year it is my goal to see one. Box turtles are one of my favorites as well. What does a Manouria look like? I will Google it. Thank you for replying to this post I was trying to start an interesting thread to learn about the different turtles we all love [emoji846]
Oh my I googled the Manouria and it is a beautiful species. I would love to have one someday

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh my they're beautiful [emoji7] how old are they/ how long have you had them? Definitely would love to have one some day. Are they the only tortoises you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Medea, Darth and Phae are Manouria emys phayrei and are full grown - well, Darth and Phae may have a bit of growing left to do, but they are mature, egg laying breeders, so they're 1.2. Rajkumar and Duc (1.1) are Manouria emys emys and are very close to being full grown. They are also a breeding pair. I also have 0.0.4 Manouria emys phayrei that I hatched myself, that are still too small to sex. A couple years ago Phae, Medea and Darth went to San Diego to live with my tortoise partner, but I still have the juveniles and the emys emys. Before they moved to San Diego, I had them for about 20 years. If you click on my "spoilers" button in my signature you can see all the turtles and tortoises I keep here in Central California.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh why thank you for telling me all about them [emoji7] wow that's very neat that you have had them for such a long time. I am 20 years old and just thinking that you have owned them my entire life time is amazing. When you say tortoise partner what do you mean? Lol sorry I even asked my hubby so I didn't have to ask you what you meant. I'm sure that was difficult to part with them during their move after 20 years of having them. At least you have others to keep you busy [emoji846] How many eggs do your females lay a year? Do you incubate the eggs for the babies? I will be going to look at your spoilers. Excited to see all of your babies. How long does it take the Manouria to mature to reproduce?

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Medea, Darth and Phae are Manouria emys phayrei and are full grown - well, Darth and Phae may have a bit of growing left to do, but they are mature, egg laying breeders, so they're 1.2. Rajkumar and Duc (1.1) are Manouria emys emys and are very close to being full grown. They are also a breeding pair. I also have 0.0.4 Manouria emys phayrei that I hatched myself, that are still too small to sex. A couple years ago Phae, Medea and Darth went to San Diego to live with my tortoise partner, but I still have the juveniles and the emys emys. Before they moved to San Diego, I had them for about 20 years. If you click on my "spoilers" button in my signature you can see all the turtles and tortoises I keep here in Central California.
Okay so I tried finding your spoilers but not sure where to look. Lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh why thank you for telling me all about them [emoji7] wow that's very neat that you have had them for such a long time. I am 20 years old and just thinking that you have owned them my entire life time is amazing. When you say tortoise partner what do you mean? Lol sorry I even asked my hubby so I didn't have to ask you what you meant. I'm sure that was difficult to part with them during their move after 20 years of having them. At least you have others to keep you busy [emoji846] How many eggs do your females lay a year? Do you incubate the eggs for the babies? I will be going to look at your spoilers. Excited to see all of your babies. How long does it take the Manouria to mature to reproduce?
Kapidolo Farms, Will, is my tortoise partner. He used to live here in the same town, but went to Philadelphia to college years ago. He had an extensive collection of turtles and tortoises that couldn't go with him and he enlisted me to take them until he could send for them. Phae and Darth were too big to ship, and I ended up keeping them. Will has now moved back to California and we have entered into a partnership. Mainly I keep the tortoises, incubate any eggs, care for resultant babies, then Will takes the babies and sells them. We split the profits. He comes up about every three months and takes care of all the 'heavy lifting' jobs that I'm unable to do anymore and takes all the babies home with him. So far this year he has taken almost 100 leopard babies to sell.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh wow that is very cool! I understand exactly what you meant now thank you for explaining that to me. That is awesome [emoji4] how long have you guys been in business together now? Maybe someday I will buy a baby tortoise from you guys [emoji846] I think that is so cool that you guys took something you love doing and made it into something bigger. Great job [emoji1] I would love to be like you someday Yvonne

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Who here knows how many species of turtle there are in the world? And what's everyone's favorite? [emoji1] I'll start with mine. I really like soft shelled turtles. No specific species but all of them. I would love to own one some day. I like how flat they are. [emoji117] Your turn
I love fly river turtles.. i think they’re so cool looking with their lil pig noses. They have one at the reptile zoo near where i live. Love em! But would never want an aquatic turtle lol hate water maintenance

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I love fly river turtles.. i think they’re so cool looking with their lil pig noses. They have one at the reptile zoo near where i live. Love em! But would never want an aquatic turtle lol hate water maintenance
That's awesome I was just looking at pictures of the fly river turtles [emoji23] I like them and their pig noses as well. And yes yes the water maintenance is a pain in the butt. Someday I will own a tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My favorite species of turtle is Platysternon megacephalum. Had a chance to own one almost 30 years ago and missed it. Maybe someday...

Other favorites include: The snake-necks, spotted turtles, Indian spotted turtles, painted turtles, and alligator snappers. There is another type of turtle I saw at a zoo that I really liked, but I'm not sure what it was. I think it was a Batagur, but I'm not sure about that. It looked like a giant box turtle and was quite comfortable walking around and foraging on the bottom of a large pond.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
My favorite species of turtle is Platysternon megacephalum. Had a chance to own one almost 30 years ago and missed it. Maybe someday...

Other favorites include: The snake-necks, spotted turtles, Indian spotted turtles, painted turtles, and alligator snappers. There is another type of turtle I saw at a zoo that I really liked, but I'm not sure what it was. I think it was a Batagur, but I'm not sure about that. It looked like a giant box turtle and was quite comfortable walking around and foraging on the bottom of a large pond.
I am definitely googling those turtles to see what they look like. I definitely like the snake necks to. Lately I've really started to want a wood turtle. Of any sort. There beautiful [emoji4]

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I am definitely googling those turtles to see what they look like. I definitely like the snake necks to. Lately I've really started to want a wood turtle. Of any sort. There beautiful [emoji4]
Whoa I looked up the Platysternon megacephalum and wow. It is a very cool looking turtle. Big headed turtle. I wonder how their attitudes are being they're so big headed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sea turtles are my all time fave turtle. My next one is the Fly River. I think they look similar to a sea turtle. I do like tortoises the best though.