Get on with it, Roland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Yesterday, we were rearranging some of the RT enclosures. I set Roland in with the little girls and Hurley for a couple of minutes to get him out of the way (he's SOOOO curious, he gets in the way!!! LOL)

It was funny because he was VERY interested in Hurley... like he was competition or something.

Well now today I caught him mounting Calypso (not effectively, but he was making an effort), and also sniffing and mouthing Mithril's hind end! It's like seeing another male kicked in his hormones or something! ROFL!

Anyway, YOU GO, BOY! I hope he gets the groove on with those BIG girls!!! This is the first time we've had a MALE even try to mount another, so you can imagine the excitement!

You know... it's the little things in life...

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
That would be nice if you could be posting pics of eggs and babies!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Actually for some males, they do need the competition to get them jump started, so you were right on that observation.

So was he just mounting or also into the noise making phase? Our Russians enclosures are located in the front room. They seem to enjoy the extra activity and attention, plus it makes it easier for folks to observe them. Yesterday, when my non-animal owning sister was over for Christmas, we were in the front room when one of the males started going at it...complete with vocals. Was sooooo much fun telling my sister what she was hearing once she asked what it was.:D

P.S. Love your new turtle picture.:D Is it one of your statues?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks! A friend in England sent me that wooden tortoise statue as a Christmas gift! I think it's just the coolest thing!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh and nope, he wasn't making any noise! He was just trying to figure out how to get up on her! LOL! When he finally got himself upright, he fell over right away! ROFL! But at least he's gotten the idea.... maybe I'll put Hurley in there for a short time (supervised) every couple of days, just to get his motor running!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kelly, I'm sure he will figure it out. Ajax likes to make practice runs on Echo. Up - then gets down. Then up -then just stands there. If she takes a step he takes one then he flops over and it may start all over again. (Maybe courtship?) And look I got a little one out of it. You never know you may be changing those number in your signature before you know it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.