George's new tortoise table is being made! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
George's new table is in the process of being built outside! It's not done yet, but it's getting there! Will post more pics as it improves! I decided to buy fascia boards to construct it, and luckily, my daughter's dad is helping me out, as he's good at making things! :D
Georgesnewtable26-11-11.jpg

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Great stuff! Keep us updated with pictures - I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done!

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thanks, still don't know what substrate I'm getting! He's so messy though, and the soil he has at the mo just looks really yukky in my living room, and it gets everywhere, and in his eyes, and on his food, so I really was hoping to use some sort of mulch or bark this time!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
*Amber* said:
Thanks, still don't know what substrate I'm getting! He's so messy though, and the soil he has at the mo just looks really yukky in my living room, and it gets everywhere, and in his eyes, and on his food, so I really was hoping to use some sort of mulch or bark this time!

Aww. There are loads out there, so you're sure to find one that works with a little experimentation.

I use soil, and it works fine for me, but I'd tried aspen and sphagnum moss beforehand and for us it just didn't work. Every environment/tortoise is different.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Ok, it's getting there! :D Not quite finished, but I'm really pleased with it! Waiting for it to dry! Should be able to get him in it tomorrow, although my lamp stand still hasn't been delivered, so gonna have to improvise until it arrives! :) Please excuse my hay tablecloth, I'm very animal oriented ha ha!
Georgestable26-11-11002.jpg

Georgestable26-11-11001.jpg

MeRalf

5 Year Member
wow, this really looks great, I love the side window. This is exactly how i want my enclosure to look like. Can't decide on ordering a new one but more expencive or making one by myself

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you, the boards cost me £100, but I chose the rosewood UPVC fascia boards, as I liked the colour. As my ex partner also fits fascias for a living, he also was able to get a discount, but if white boards were used, then it would have been a lot cheaper. I chose perspex for the window, and did think it will get scratched by his claws, but it can easily be replaced and was only £15. I was also worried he might think he can get through it, but I took the risk!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
It's really impressive. I love it. I'd love my next table to look like that. :)

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Awwww thank you Cheryl! Didn't take him long to make, I was shocked how little time it took him! Can't wait to get him in it! :D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Really nice, I would never guess it was made, looks like you bought it from a furniture store, very clean and professional. I like the corner caps and ends along with the trim work, very nice.

and I'm digging the table cloth

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
That's looking really good!! Can't wait to see the finished product...

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Awwww thank you all for the lovely comments! Well, it's finished!!!!! :D Thought I'd take some pics before we put him it in, as it will never be this clean looking again ha ha! I found a recycling tub in B and Q, and thought if I put it upside down with sphagnum moss in, it would be a damp area for him to go into.

Here is George's new home!
Georgesnewtable27-11-11003.jpg

Georgesnewtable27-11-11001.jpg

Georgesnewtable27-11-11002.jpg

Georgesnewtable27-11-11004.jpg

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
RE: George's new tortoise table is being made! :) *UPDATED*

Well George seems happy in his new home, although he's stayed up the warm end, and hasn't ventured down the other end yet! I'm very pleased he's still eating, I thought he might stop eating when I changed his house, so I'm really pleased! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.