George hiding from his UVB lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
George always seems to hide from his UVB lamp. It's a 26watt 10.0 REPTI glo and it's not as though it emits alot of heat or anything so I don't know why he shys away from it. As well, his habitat is about 16'' high maybe a bit more, and the lamp rests on top of the screen, so I was thinking this was far enough away from him.

Should I take out his hiding log to be sure he is getting adequate UVB exposure? I just thought maybe he was hiding from it because he didn't like it...but I know he needs it!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

JD

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
A 10.0 uvb light is too bright for him. A 5.0 would probably be more appropriate. The 10.0 is for desert type herps. All box turtles, wheather T. carolina or T. ornata take shelter from that intensity of light.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
okay, I figured he hated it for a reason. Here's my dilemma: the 5.0 which I was considering purchasing only emits up to 12''....the 10.0 emits up to 20'' so I was afraid that the 5.0 wouldn't be able to reach George because the habitat I have him in is a Deep 20 gallon. Any thoughts on this?

JD

ps. i just realized that I posted this thread in the wrong area. sorry, i'm just getting the hang of this. :0)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Well, I have a couple suggestions. First a 20H tank is too small for him besides the fact fish tanks in general are not really suitable for a land turtle. I would suggest either a large (36Lx20Wx8H) underbed tote or what I call cement mixing tub (36Lx24Wx12H) for enclosure, organic cypress or hardwood mulch for substrat, and a large flower pot base for water. What is eating besides tomato and apple ? I would suggest some muskmelon or cantalope for the vitamin A. Oh, yes you have a three-toed box turtle.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for your advice! I mispoke he is in a 29 gallon but that as well is too small after I have seen what most of you guys have been able to do with the rubbermaid containers and such. Using that I can afford to give him a much larger habitat (George says thank you)! For the last several months I have had George on a more varied diet and (hopefully) better balanced. I am currently mixing in a food processor: red grapes, Kale, orange peel (this seems to be very high in calcium from what i've read), apple/peel, Gerber meat stick, and hard boiled egg w/ shell occassionally. This recipe varies but these are some of the main ingredients Ive been including. I've been sprinkling his rep-cal on top of it. In addition to this I give him ZOO MED box turtle food 2-3 times a week because he dives face first into that stuff. I would love further diet suggestions...I came up with the recipe I have now by doing so research on Calcium: Phospherous ratios and trying to include some of the higher calcium foods because I know that because of his poor diet in the past years He probably needs some extra calcium these days.

Another question in regards to the habitat....i had been considering mulch for a bedding because the repti bark is stupid expensive but I wasn't sure what I should look for in a good mulch bedding to make sure that it would be toxin and parasite free??? any tips on this? The organic cypress or hardwood mulch that you mentioned, can this be picked up at a home improvement type store that carries gardening items or possibly a plant nursery?

Thanks again :0)

JD

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The mulches I mentioned can be found at the improvement stores and nurseries. Another thing that he will like are earthworms. A good site for info is www.boxturturtlesite.info

Status
Not open for further replies.