Genus Indotestudo - Elongated, Forstens, Travancore (conversation thread)

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Cool species are they yours or what does "in situ" mean?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
In their natural habitat, their native range.
Nice photos Kelly, haven't seen many wild photos of these guys.

Ah ok thank you. That's clear there aren't many animals :-D they only have a very small habitat yet. And I only know one person who keeps them but I don't know if the person breeds them..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ah ok thank you. That's clear there aren't many animals :-D they only have a very small habitat yet. And I only know one person who keeps them but I don't know if the person breeds them..
Yes very small range indeed. Conservationists only work with less than 10 too. Some seen above in protected areas.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Whoa. Were those travencoria shots taken by you Kelly? That would be an interesting trip….Awesome. Didn't they get imported back in the 80's and mistaken for elongata or forstenii or something? It seems like they would be present in the hobby, somewhere. :/.

mrscruffy

Great pics, can I ask which country or province the pictures were taken in and when?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here are some pix for you. These were taken in my tortoise facility. The male in the photos was collected in the Western Ghats by Dr. Walter Auffenberg in 1958. The Bronx Zoo had a female which was collected by Dr. Auffenberg on the same trip, so I loaned my male to the zoo and they were kept together in a rainforest exhibit in the Reptile House from 1980 until 1995 when the female died. The female laid clutches of two large eggs several times yearly and many offspring were produced. In 2006, I managed to import 1.1 genuine Indotestudo travancorica (proven by DNA testing I had done by Dr. Ed Louis) from Germany and they are now being maintained in FL with the original male and a couple of his daughters from the 1980's and 1990's. Babies are being produced by this group, but are rarely offered for sale.

Trav. Breeding A.jpg

Trav. Breeding.jpg
Travancore 1.JPG

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Here are some pix for you. These were taken in my tortoise facility. The male in the photos was collected in the Western Ghats by Dr. Walter Auffenberg in 1958. The Bronx Zoo had a female which was collected by Dr. Auffenberg on the same trip, so I loaned my male to the zoo and they were kept together in a rainforest exhibit in the Reptile House from 1980 until 1995 when the female died. The female laid clutches of two large eggs several times yearly and many offspring were produced. In 2006, I managed to import 1.1 genuine Indotestudo travancorica (proven by DNA testing I had done by Dr. Ed Louis) from Germany and they are now being maintained in FL with the original male and a couple of his daughters from the 1980's and 1990's. Babies are being produced by this group, but are rarely offered for sale.

View attachment 217261

View attachment 217262
View attachment 217263

Wow. Those are great. Thanks for sharing, Bill.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I know this is an old thread what would an adult female pure travencore be worth today I have a pure female and would like to find her a male or do a breeding line or something