General Tortoise Questions

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello guys, as some of you guys know, I am a new person to turtle/tortoise keeping. I have always loved turtle and kept red eared sliders all my life that were rehomed to numerous families and their turtle ponds. I also rescue red eared sliders, so far I have rescued a baby red eared slider, I have a Razorback Musk Turtle, and a Concentric Diamonback Terrapin. As far as tortoises, I have always been fascinated by them and would like to keep a tortoise in the future. I have done extensive research on Sulcata tortoises, but believe I don't have the necessary backyard for them so I wouldn't get a Sulcata tortoise. As far as other tortoises go, what tortoise can I keep in my backyard in Houston Texas? I would like a fairly big tortoise that can be kept outside in his little shed, but don't want anything as big as an Aldabra or Sulcata Tortoises. If anyone can redirect me to the right direction that would be helpful. Also, keep in mind this is a project I want to do in the near future.

Thanks,
PressureReptiles
instagram.com/PressureReptiles
Youtube: PressureReptiles

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Maybe a leopard or a red foot. Still get to a good size but not overwhelming

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Redfoots are awesome. Probably the easiest Tortoise to feed because they can eat so many things. They do require high humidity but sounds like your area would be good. They also love the rain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Out of the turtles you posted, which one do you think would be easier to take care of for a beginner
Hmmm... All are pretty similar. All adapt well to many different foods and to captive life. All will need to be mostly indoors as a baby, but fine living outside full time in your climate with a heated night box as adults.

I think all of these are easy keepers. The manouria can take cooler temps, and so can the SA leopards. The RFs stay a more manageable size. The radiata are in the middle size wise, the most beautiful, but much more expensive to buy initially.

Its really personal preference. Of all of these, I think the SA leopards are the easiest to feed as adults. They eat hay like a sulcata. I leave a flake of orchard grass hay out for them and then just feed them whatever else comes along when I get around to it. All three of the other species will require you to "feed" them every day, unless there is enough to graze on in their outdoor enclosure.

Perhaps prices will sway you one way or the other. These prices are for hatchlings of each:
RFs $150 each.
SAL = $300 each.
Manouria $450 each.
Radiata $1200 each.

Or sizes:
RF = 12-14".
Radiata = 16".
Manouria = 22-24".
SAL = 22-24".

You can't go wrong with any of them. All are easy keepers and super cool tortoises.