Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi IshKah:

I really don't see what all the hoopla is all about. Your diet seems fine to me:

"Diet: Bok choy, endive, escarole, cilantro, occasionally carrots, mustard greens, dandelion greens, basil. All rotated frequently and bought fresh weekly from a certified organic farm."

The endive, escarole and dandelion are excellent food items. To this diet you can take the scissors and a plastic bag out into the yard and find mullberry leaves, opuntia cactus, grape leaves, holly hock leaves, clover, broad-leafed weeds like fillaree...anything out there that you think he might like to eat that hasn't been treated with herbicides or pesticides.

Carolinapetsupply.com has an excellent product that you sprinkle over the food. Its called TNT and its made up of nutritious plants that are dried and ground up into a powder.

And, by the way, it was Xero who suggested the OP join SW, and Maggie's comment was directed to Xero.

red foot marg

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I was not suggesting that just lettuces were a complete diet. We use Spring Mix with other dark leafy greens, grass and weeds. Frankly I have been feeding lettuces along with other leaves and blossoms and dark leafy greens for a lot of years, and have raised many healthy tortoises. Sophie I am very glad you have done your research but don't come on with a few months of experience and tell those of us with years of experience that we have been doing wrong all these years. I am glad you feel you have good advice to offer, but you can be polite and respectful as you give that advice.
It's no big deal that you haven't used bagged salad in your months of experience. I go for months without using it also, but then I do use it and other healthy food for months at a time.

Xero I think that it is very rude for you to come on as a newbie and suggest that the OP go and join Shelled Warriors. I for one don't care for Shelled Warriors or the attitude of most of it's members. I might suggest that if you think Shelled Warriors has so much better advice then we do, that you go and stay there and leave us to our crappy advice here.

I think the OP has a great little tortoise and certainly knows how to ask for advice and I hope he see's past this bit of rudeness and stays here to see what a great group we can be...

I am glad that newbies feel they can come on and offer good advice, but please be respectful to those of us already here, we don't need rudeness here, especially when another new member is asking for advice for his tortoise.

Hmmm, to start with if you take a breath he was just saying there are also other places to get good advice from thats all , i to have 30 plus years experience but that don't make me right all the time.

Xero

5 Year Member
Maggie, no where in my post did I say any advise here was bad.

Clearly all i meant was what Jacqui said.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
red foot marg said:
Hmmm, to start with if you take a breath he was just saying there are also other places to get good advice from thats all , i to have 30 plus years experience but that don't make me right all the time.

Welcome to the forum Marg. :D It is nice to have another experienced keeper joining us, but please first go to the intro area and tell us a bit about you.

If you had read the previous posts and also taken a deep breath like you suggested to Maggie, you may have read that this thread has been asked to stay on topic, not to go wandering off on an argument line. Now I do also understand, you wanting to come to support your friend from SW, but that is not the topic in this thread. We do things a bit differently in this site then perhaps SW does... we don't allow members (new or old) to keep bashing each other on a thread. We do however welcome new thoughts and comments on tortoise husbandry. So (and this reminder is directed at EVERYbody), please leave negative comments about each other off the posts and stick to giving your thoughts on tortoise husbandry in a friendly manner, so folks will listen to your words rather then just zoning them out.

At this point, I will also add ANY further negative posts will simply be deleted, no questions asked, no matter who does them. Thank you!

Jacqui :tort:

IshKah

5 Year Member
Madison, WI
Holy heated discussion, Batman!

Watermelon: I appreciate your 'no nonsense' approach to giving advice. I realize that this approach can sometimes come off as mean/rude/etc but I know your intentions were for my tort's well-being so for this I (and he!) thank you greatly and do not take any personal offense :)

Xero: Thanks for the suggestion! I spend a lot of time researching so the more resources/information I have access to the easier it is for me to make an informed decision that benefits my little guy the most. :) That being said IMHO I think that your original post would be more appropriate in a thread explicitly asking for where to get more information.

Everyone else: Thank you very much for your input and advice!! My plan now is to go to a local nursery and see if I can't find some of these tort-licious weeds and whatnot that all of you speak so highly of.

I just remeasured the temps and they are sitting around 33c and 23c for the hot and cold end, respectively. Since I've taken out the coiled UV bulb I notice he has been sleeping outside his hide more (yaayyy!) and he went to bed a bit later yesterday so let's hope that continues :D

One last thing I want to say: The thing I love about this community is that we are all so passionate about our own and our fellow member's torts and I feel that this thread really embodies that. I don't want to sound like a parent or anything but we all need to make a conscience effort to keep that sometimes raw emotion in-check with respect to the forum's rules and most of all remember why we are all here: because tort's are the best thing ever. ;D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
IshKah said:
Holy heated discussion, Batman!

Watermelon: I appreciate your 'no nonsense' approach to giving advice. I realize that this approach can sometimes come off as mean/rude/etc but I know your intentions were for my tort's well-being so for this I (and he!) thank you greatly and do not take any personal offense :)

Xero: Thanks for the suggestion! I spend a lot of time researching so the more resources/information I have access to the easier it is for me to make an informed decision that benefits my little guy the most. :) That being said IMHO I think that your original post would be more appropriate in a thread explicitly asking for where to get more information.

Everyone else: Thank you very much for your input and advice!! My plan now is to go to a local nursery and see if I can't find some of these tort-licious weeds and whatnot that all of you speak so highly of.

I just remeasured the temps and they are sitting around 33c and 23c for the hot and cold end, respectively. Since I've taken out the coiled UV bulb I notice he has been sleeping outside his hide more (yaayyy!) and he went to bed a bit later yesterday so let's hope that continues :D

One last thing I want to say: The thing I love about this community is that we are all so passionate about our own and our fellow member's torts and I feel that this thread really embodies that. I don't want to sound like a parent or anything but we all need to make a conscience effort to keep that sometimes raw emotion in-check with respect to the forum's rules and most of all remember why we are all here: because tort's are the best thing ever. ;D

*claps hands* Wonderful wonderful post!

Status
Not open for further replies.