General Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Is it ok for my one and a half year old torts to go out in the garden this summer or should they be older before they venture outside.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How big are they? And is the garden secure from predators? I let my 2" torts out for some fun in the sun but they are in a secured pen and are only out during the day for a few hours.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
They are about 3 Inches. I am just about to make an enclosure whats the best way to make one any ideas. Garden isn't sure against cats or foxes.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You need to make sure it is secure. You can make a wood box and put a lid with chicken wire over the top. If secured in a enclosure they will be ok outside, but if it were me I would still bring them in at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
danieledwards2006 said:
Is it ok for my one and a half year old torts to go out in the garden this summer or should they be older before they venture outside.

I have bird-proof habitats for my babies, so no matter how small they are, they go outside in good weather. You want the cover to have big enough mesh to allow the UVB rays to penetrate, but not so big that a bird can hop through. Screen isn't good because the rays bounce off. Hog wire isn't good because critters can just walk through. I like to use hardware cloth.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I too let my little ones outside in good weather. Right now I have them in a Rabit cage but will be settting up a secure perminant outside enclosure. I have a box 48" x 59" that will be divided into thirds. I will use a 1/2 inch square wire hardware cloth on the top and bottom. Then fill it some with dirt and plants. The wire is small enought to prevent birds in, but lets uvb light inside, and the hardware cloth on the bottom keeps anything from digging to get inside. Never too safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.