General advice for a tortoise first timer - I have a one year old Greek Tortoise :)

Hannah Riley

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hello there! I’m new to this forum and new to caring for tortoises! I have a one year old spur thighed, female tortoise called Mary. I’ve never had a tortoise before - as such, I desperately welcome any tips/tricks with regards to how I can ensure Mary lives a long, happy/healthy life!

I also have a few queries which I would really appreciate some guidance on!

1) I travel a lot with work, and I worry about how to manage Marys UV and Heat Lamps when I am not in my flat to switch them on and off. I also worry about potential fire risks if I leave the lamps on for too long, whilst I am away with work.

Can anyone advise on what the best course of action is when you go on holiday / or are away with work and you have your tortoises UV and heat lamps to manage? Do you typically ask a neighbour to check the lamps are on at the right times or do you just leave both the UV and heat lamps on for the duration of time you are away - accepting that leaving the lamps on could be a fire hazard?

2) In the winter months, my bedroom (where Mary’s cage is) gets rather cold and I would like to cover the cage with a fire resistant blanket for additional insulation. Can anyone recommend any fire resistant blankets for tortoise cages?

3) I’m worried that Mary may be lonely. I realise tortoises are solitary creatures but I don’t spend as much time with Mary as I would like to (for work reasons). So I’m concerned she may be bored of walking around her cage repeatedly. Can anyone recommend any toys / items that provide your tortoises enjoyment or would you recommend getting another female tortoise for company?

4) I typically feed Mary, Kale, broccoli, parsley and strawberries. Are there any other food items that make your tortoises happy? I’ve noticed Mary barely drinks water at all, is this something I should be concerned about? I bath her every other day, so I’m hoping this is enough opportunity for her to hydrate?

5) I decided not to hibernate Mary this year, as she is only one years of age and is still very small. However, what advice can folks give for hibernating her next winter? Is fridge hibernation recommended? Did you have to encourage your tortoise to hibernate or do they do this naturally? How do you know when to check on your tortoise during fridge hibernation? I have so many questions and very anxious about the whole hibernation process!

Many thanks all!

Hannah :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
1. A neighbour for care. A timer for the lamps.

2. Get a proper covered enclosure, a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat. No electric blanket

3. They don’t get lonely and don’t get bored. They’re much less stressed when they’re not constantly worrying about invaders trying to remove them from their territory or eat their food. No toys required just a properly set up enclosure. Pushing balls looks cute, but is actually what a tortoise does to an invader to its territory. It’s stressful.

4. Yes you should be concerned. Soak her first thing every morning for at least 20 minutes in warm water. Use a large flat bottomed bowl with water deep enough to just come over the join between the shell and the plastron. Offer food immediately afterwards as her natural behaviour will be to browse on it through the day.

5. Far too small. I prefer not to hibernate until they reach 500g. That’ll be a while yet.

Please read this thread about how to care for your tortoise and compare it with your setup

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you further

Hannah Riley

Liverpool
Thank you so much @JoesMum for your swift response! I will send a photograph of Marys enclosure tomorrow as she is snoozing away now!

Are they any lamp timers you would recommend in particular for managing a basking lamp, UVB lamp and heat emitter? I'm looking at purchasing this timer but if there are any you would recommend that would be fabulous!

https://www.reptilecentre.com/lucky-reptile-pro-digital-timer_p22288918.htm

Many thanks!!!! :)

Hannah Riley

Liverpool
IMG_20210105_132254.jpg

@JoesMum - here is Mary's enclosure. I had a thermostat in her cage last night and i'm concerned that 11°C is far too cold for her. Do you think its worth me investing in a more insulated enclosure? Thank you!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes 11C is far too cold.

An barred cage like that is not suitable for a tortoise. The bars are a tipping hazard - your tortoise could easily flip and not be able to get upright. There is absolutely no way you can maintain the heat and humidity you need by day, let alone at night, with an open enclosure like that.

You need a deeper enclosure that can’t be climbed out of with a lid or cover. A large vivarium will suit a baby like that, but be aware your tortoise will outgrow it in a couple of years.

Some people use a plant tent like this over their enclosure. I repeat though... not that cage ... you need to get rid of that.
D9D83CDE-FA0A-439E-987E-4287AED1F581.jpeg

Please take the time to read the thread I linked to earlier. Without changes you will be putting your tortoise’s health at risk. Here’s the link again