Gender and size

Mich

5 Year Member
Quick question, I have a female leopard tortoise that is aprox 7yrs old and nearly 12" long. I'm looking at a male that I'm told is 8yrs old and 9" long. I don't know a lot about the male yet, I know he was housed in a large 10x10 enclosure with a red foot of similar sized. I don't believe his diet was the best.

Is it typical for a female a year younger to be nearly 3" larger? Or is it more likely that the size difference at this age is due more to diet and environmental conditions? I know adult sizes can vary among gender but I'm just curious because both of these tortoises still have a lot of growing to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know about ALL leopards, but in my tortoises' case, the females are larger than the males.

Mich

5 Year Member
I figured the female would be larger, I guess maybe I just assumed a female of the exact same age would keep growing a little more after the male reached his max...but perhaps they outgrow the males gradually along the way.

I haven't purchased this male yet and I'm curious about his much smaller size (makes me question his health or husbandry a little)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Growth rates can vary wildly depending on many factors. I wouldn't worry about this size difference.

If you are getting this tortoise for breeding purposes, he should be able to get the job done.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Sometimes a smaller male has an easier time servicing a bigger female.