Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Prairie Mom

My Wife's Recipe, salt, pepper, season all, and flour. slice tomato and and the mix will stick to the slices. If you want a thicker crust you can dip the tomato slices in a scrambled up raw egg before rolling in the batter. You can add anything to the batter you want..
That's what I do too. I have found I really like the tomatoes that are just turning orange (if a red variety) best.

Well, I am definitely going to be trying out some fried green tomatoes. I'll be honest...I've never even tasted them before, but have been curious. Every year, we get super early snow storms and I end up having to pick all my green tomatoes. I don't waste them and let them ripen in the house, but next year we will definitely be making some fried green/fried orange tomatoes:)
small green tomatoes.jpg
LOOK AT ALL THOSE GREEN TOMATOES! (These were picked right before the snowstorm where we found our little tortoise) :)

Prairie Mom

LOL I can say I have never been called or considered cool. lol I was just raised to reuse everything I can in my yard. My Grandmother taught me that (I even have an old coffee maker flower pot from her) and my Mom continued it, even though she had a brown thumb like me. From my Mom I have an old metal mop bucket on wheels for a planter. Ahhh you making me think of some wonderful memories with this thread Lady.
Posts like this one are EXACTLY why I wanted to start this thread! I live for hearing that kind of stuff:) Please share any time!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
OMG your using cat litter buckets too!!!
I have another good use for cat litter buckets, I have all my out door housing electrical connections in them. I found it is easier to have the controls (and excess wire) outside their houses in case you need to make any adjustments than inside the living area.And it is water proof.

Prairie Mom

I have another good use for cat litter buckets, I have all my out door housing electrical connections in them. I found it is easier to have the controls (and excess wire) outside their houses in case you need to make any adjustments than inside the living area.And it is water proof.
Wow, you're right. That is another nifty use. They're big enough for excess wiring, sturdy, and water proof. Maybe I should change this thread to all about soda bottles and litter buckets ;) Make sure you tag me if you post photos of your other houses!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Mavis is such a lucky Sully! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Prairie Mom

Mavis is such a lucky Sully! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES
Thanks May :) We feel very lucky too. Who knew that a trip to a kids' movie would change our lives forever!? Our lives are even a little busier with building projects for her and a LOT more fun and enriched.

Prairie Mom

http://www.freeflowerbulbs.com/ they are giving away free flower bulbs
Wow, that's really cool! Have you done it yourself yet?
Daylilies are edible for people and torts. Tulips are also edible for people and torts (but don't eat the bulb! Parts of the bulb is toxic--plus...yech!). My family has been working on a project to make everything blooming in our backyard edible. We have a tons of edible flowers already and Tulips are among my favorite. I will definitely check out how this website works! Thanks for posting this:)

Prairie Mom

smaller mavis eat pumpkin vine.jpg
Tortoise tongues are the cutest things in the world! Pumpkin vines are apparently pretty tasty!

anita pumpkin.jpg
Happy Pumpkin day! It's much more fun gutting and carving a pumpkin you grew yourself.

mavis eat watermelon.jpg
Mavis has not had watermelon yet, but she loves watermelon plants!

sugar baby watermelon.jpg
My growing season is really short, so we grew "Sugar babies." They still take a while to harvest, but
it's pretty fun having grapefruit-sized watermelon.

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

Our tort is actually brand new to us. (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...ify-have-calcium-concerns.101100/#post-943511)

When we first got her, she had several REALLY SOFT spots on the both sides of her shell and incredibly sharp back claws. Now, that her shell has hardened up, the difference is very noticeable, and even her back nails quickly filed down. We doubt she had spent much time outside in her previous life. When we first put her outside, it was almost like she didn't know exactly what to do at first, and she didn't seem to realize she could eat everything. --And in our back yard, she really could EAT EVERYTHING. I have been painstakingly removing all non-edible plants and flowers for the past few summers. It has been so FUN (amazing! actually) watching her discover all the different types of food and seeing which things become her favorites. These really are the most amazing animals for people who love to be outside and work in the dirt:)

phebe121

Id love to do somethin like.that for my torts and im glad you got yours you have improved there life a ton .i know i have improved my torts life before they had never been soaked or feed the right stuff and pyramiding but now there shells r getting smoother and love bath time and being outside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Really nice looking garden. I'm not going to post any photos of mine because it would be shameful. Most of my "garden" is kiddie pools and pots of various shapes and sizes. The soil here doesn't seem to like most of my food plants. Except Hibiscus. It is very random and spread out in my back yard and fed on by birds, especially wild parrots and the odd iguana from the canal. Iguanas use canals as their highway.

phebe121

Really nice looking garden. I'm not going to post any photos of mine because it would be shameful. Most of my "garden" is kiddie pools and pots of various shapes and sizes. The soil here doesn't seem to like most of my food plants. Except Hibiscus. It is very random and spread out in my back yard and fed on by birds, especially wild parrots and the odd iguana from the canal. Iguanas use canals as their highway.

Im sure its wonderful we dont judge

Prairie Mom

Zeropilot, your post made me more curious than ever! Your gardening is EXACTLY what I am the most intrigued by. Anyone can open up a magazine and see perfectly manicured gardens and lawns, but when people get creative and make things work in "hostile" growing conditions---that is amazing! I'd love to see kiddie pools. Also, close ups of beautiful flowers, weeds, and veg are most welcome. I thought Turtulas len's post of drying out grass is one of the most interesting ones on here so far.

Next Spring, I'll have to take pictures of my friend's garden/greenhouse. I've mentioned it a million times, but our warm growing season is really short and my friend has horrific clay in her yard that won't even mix with soil when she tries to amend it. It's crazy. She has put big tubs in a green house and is growing vegetables out of those. She isn't growing a ton, but I've never seen anyone grow the way she is.

Also, most of the country has to defend their gardens against squirrels, deer, and rabbits. PLEASE, I'm begging you to share adventures about defending your garden against parrots and iguana!!!--- so unreal! ha ha ha! :D

Prairie Mom

Id love to do somethin like.that for my torts and im glad you got yours you have improved there life a ton .i know i have improved my torts life before they had never been soaked or feed the right stuff and pyramiding but now there shells r getting smoother and love bath time and being outside.
Hearing how your tort is thriving and growing properly gives me warm fuzzies inside and continued hope that I can raise my own beastie right:) Thanks for sharing!

phebe121

Trust me at first i was doing alot of wrong stuff i think iv gotten alot better thanks.to this site