Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
OK, I'll bite: I wanna see video of that transplanting operation. It looks difficult, dangerous, and likely to provoke more than a little laughter. If I were to attempt that scale of transplanting here, my wife would cook up a mess of popcorn, pull up a chair, and probably contacts the news media...
It's VERY heavy too. Block and tackle?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
OK, I'll bite: I wanna see video of that transplanting operation. It looks difficult, dangerous, and likely to provoke more than a little laughter. If I were to attempt that scale of transplanting here, my wife would cook up a mess of popcorn, pull up a chair, and probably contacts the news media...
This sounds vaguely familiar...

Ogonki

Poland
I may not see spring yet, even though it should have come and here the snow is lying nowhere. This year I decided to take a turtle into my house. This is a breakthrough in my life because I was afraid of turtles since I was a child. I absolutely do not know why, their mouths scared me, but I decided that you have to stand in front of your fears and this is how "Sprinter" appeared in my place.

Relic

Here
All kinds of annuals, perennials, trees & shrubs leafing out & blooming these days here in Maryland. Dandelion out the ying-yang.

Our Pink Dogwood starting to pinken up this week. Lots of rain, cool temps & scattered sunshine.

View attachment 323235
Ahhh, dogwoods. I slow-cooked one here in Texas many years ago...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I may not see spring yet, even though it should have come and here the snow is lying nowhere. This year I decided to take a turtle into my house. This is a breakthrough in my life because I was afraid of turtles since I was a child. I absolutely do not know why, their mouths scared me, but I decided that you have to stand in front of your fears and this is how "Sprinter" appeared in my place.
I'd love to see some pictures of Sprinter!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Just a pot of fun here
View attachment 323400View attachment 323401View attachment 323402View attachment 323403
opuntia, mint, sweet garlic, cilantro, spinach, basil, 1 random weed, and even a little wondering jew that I thought was gone.
Does your tort eat the mint and basil or is that for the humans? That’s a nice variety growing in one pot. I’m currently trying to put together a plan for what I want to try growing for my tortoise this season...once the snow melts.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Does your tort eat the mint and basil or is that for the humans? That’s a nice variety growing in one pot. I’m currently trying to put together a plan for what I want to try growing for my tortoise this season...once the snow melts.
So I have always thought mint wasn’t edible for tortoise until I read this so I looked it up on tortoise table and it’s ok to feed!!! What! Thats great because I have a ton of it. She always goes straight for it because it’s so green and I move her! Ha!!
I get a healthy crop of basil as well, maybe I will offer her some.
My mint (oh and dill) and its still growin.
5C4131A4-03DF-4D89-84D3-4C3E4A4144ED.jpegF32F3B3A-0132-41C6-A460-4DC81470E40B.jpeg

Relic

Here
So I have always thought mint wasn’t edible for tortoise until I read this so I looked it up on tortoise table and it’s ok to feed!!! What! Thats great because I have a ton of it. She always goes straight for it because it’s so green and I move her! Ha!!
I get a healthy crop of basil as well, maybe I will offer her some.
My mint (oh and dill) and its still growin.
View attachment 323423View attachment 323424
I planted a 3 inch pot of mint in a front flower bed one year - took about 34 seconds. Five years later I spent nearly a week trying to pull it all out. My guess is the mint in your yard is some of the mint that escaped my clutches here in Texas...

AZGirl

Arizona
I live in a cold Northern perennial zone 4. My growing season is very short and most people use greenhouses as season extenders, rather than keeping them growing through the cold months. I don't have a greenhouse, but have been experimenting with starting seeds under grow lights more and more. We hope to expand our light set up this winter and want to experiment with growing a few full grown vegetables indoors.

Here's a photo I took last Spring. I'm hardening off my first batch of seedlings to head to the garden.
View attachment 101672

Looks like quite a variety you have there! I did some container gardening last season but don’t have the greenest thumb. Was Looking for some raised beds maybe this yr. containers dry out fast on a hot day. Love the pic!?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I planted a 3 inch pot of mint in a front flower bed one year - took about 34 seconds. Five years later I spent nearly a week trying to pull it all out. My guess is the mint in your yard is some of the mint that escaped my clutches here in Texas...
We probably got some of yours! We had mint growing around our roses here in California for several years. We never planted it. It stopped coming in last year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This has never, ever. . . I mean. . . NEVER happened to me before!!!!!

A couple years ago I received a phone call from one of the elderly members from the turtle club. He was getting too old to care for his plants and did I want them. Well, a plant person never says no to plants. I got some pathos, a ficus benjamina, some jade, your ordinary house plants, along with a small orchid plant. It was (and still is) in a 4" pot and had three leaves.

I'm not the best plant carer, and sometimes I forget to water. Plus, I broke my wrist (requiring surgery) and knee cap last September and had to call on some friends to move my plants into the greenhouse for the winter. Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY appreciate their hard work moving the plants, but when one is not the person who put the plants on the shelves, one sometimes doesn't realize one is missing some of them during watering days. And this little orchid plant was stuck behind a bigger pot and hardly got any water over the winter.

When I moved the plants out a couple weeks ago, I repotted the orchid, tossing all the bark and, using the same pot, put orchid soil in the lower half with small grade orchid bark in the top half where the roots were. Last week I noticed a stem with flower buds. WHAT? A BLOOMING ORCHID PLANT? HERE ON MY PROPERTY?????

orchid a.jpgorchid b.jpgorchid c.jpg

Notice the Spathiphyllum in the large pot behind the smaller pots. It came from that fellow from the turtle club too. When it went into the green house it was so full and lush you couldn't see the top of the pot. They don't take well to drought conditions.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

A couple years ago I received a phone call from one of the elderly members from the turtle club. He was getting too old to care for his plants and did I want them. Well, a plant person never says no to plants. I got some pathos, a ficus benjamina, some jade, your ordinary house plants, along with a small orchid plant. It was (and still is) in a 4" pot and had three leaves.

I'm not the best plant carer, and sometimes I forget to water. Plus, I broke my wrist (requiring surgery) and knee cap last September and had to call on some friends to move my plants into the greenhouse for the winter. Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY appreciate their hard work moving the plants, but when one is not the person who put the plants on the shelves, one sometimes doesn't realize one is missing some of them during watering days. And this little orchid plant was stuck behind a bigger pot and hardly got any water over the winter.

When I moved the plants out a couple weeks ago, I repotted the orchid, tossing all the bark and, using the same pot, put orchid soil in the lower half with small grade orchid bark in the top half where the roots were. Last week I noticed a stem with flower buds. WHAT? A BLOOMING ORCHID PLANT? HERE ON MY PROPERTY?????

View attachment 324722View attachment 324723View attachment 324724

Notice the Spathiphyllum in the large pot behind the smaller pots. It came from that fellow from the turtle club too. When it went into the green house it was so full and lush you couldn't see the top of the pot. They don't take well to drought conditions.
Congratulations! My phalaenopsis orchids are sending out flower spikes as well. I can’t wait for the show. Enjoy!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

View attachment 324722View attachment 324723View attachment 324724

Do orchids not do well in your area?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I used to be a fan of the various echinacea plants: coneflowers in several shades, but mine have literally gotten out of control. They grow on a hillside, the multitude of seed heads shed seed in abundance, and I've got more than I ever bargained for - hundreds, if not thousands - growing like, well, weeds. But the wife likes them, so they stay. View attachment 322312
That must be so pretty.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
20210427_140504.jpg

This was about a week ago and my first flower bloom of the year, other then bushes and weeds