Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Zinnias and Phlox are loving the Maryland heat! I planted the zinnia seeds just a few weeks ago.

Butterflies are loving them!

B464C012-AC0A-44B0-8360-B23737FAED62.jpeg 42FFA339-6A81-4EAE-A914-BA173F97A0C6.jpeg
22620E0E-F637-4268-9DE5-F1833F197F35.jpeg

And, our Lord Baltimore Hardy Hibiscus are happy too.

E24959BE-EF07-4F16-97A4-22B0B857A716.jpeg

Last edited:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Thanks, Great information. Now I know why I see very few monarch butterfly's. Will start to fix that next spring.
Well I have no shortage of moths! And in the summer soooo many tiny caterpillars!!! And they eat peppermint leaves. That odd to anyone else? I thought peppermint was a insect deterrent?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks, Great information. Now I know why I see very few monarch butterfly's. Will start to fix that next spring.
This world can always use more milkweed! ;)
Well I have no shortage of moths! And in the summer soooo many tiny caterpillars!!! And they eat peppermint leaves. That odd to anyone else? I thought peppermint was a insect deterrent?
I definitely would've have thought so too. Sounds like you could really benefit from some night-blooming flowers, especially in a desert environment. :) This might be helpful for you: https://www.ehow.com/list_6958711_good-flowers-las-vegas.html

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd been thinking about looking around in my pile of junk. . . er. . . uh. . . stored used lumber, etc. for a receptacle to plant squash in. I wanted something tall enough that the SA leopard tortoises couldn't reach in. I eventually found a galvanized thing-a-ma-bob that my daughter used as a goat feeder. I set it up on some bricks, lined it with a piece of shade cloth (it had a rusted out hole in the bottom), filled it with dirt and leaves and horse manure, then planted some different kinds of squash and lettuce. That was a couple weeks ago. Yesterday as I was walking around looking at stuff with my great grandchillins I discovered lots of tiny sprouts. Hope it's not weeds!

winter garden 2020 a.jpg winter garden 2020 b.jpg

Winter garden 2020 c.jpg

It doesn't show up so good in the picture, but I see kale and lettuce sprouts!

How 'bout you all? Have any of you planted anything yet this year?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
To early to plant anything here, but since we haven't had any real winter yet I have a bunch of chickweed for the youngsters growing everywhere. Picture 021.jpg Picture 022.jpg It's been so nice this weekend Donald even got some outside time.Picture 013 copy.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I'd been thinking about looking around in my pile of junk. . . er. . . uh. . . stored used lumber, etc. for a receptacle to plant squash in. I wanted something tall enough that the SA leopard tortoises couldn't reach in. I eventually found a galvanized thing-a-ma-bob that my daughter used as a goat feeder. I set it up on some bricks, lined it with a piece of shade cloth (it had a rusted out hole in the bottom), filled it with dirt and leaves and horse manure, then planted some different kinds of squash and lettuce. That was a couple weeks ago. Yesterday as I was walking around looking at stuff with my great grandchillins I discovered lots of tiny sprouts. Hope it's not weeds!

View attachment 284816 View attachment 284817

View attachment 284818

Awesome. I plan on planting a few veggies for my garden. The plan is to go green and grow my own veggie garden and thereby have organic home grown veggies for the table. But it is a slow process. I have runner beans, kale, endive, squash, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes. I need to still get cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower as well.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

View attachment 284818

do you dry out or add anything to the horse manure?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

View attachment 284818

I've been planting more cacti in the garden but the squash, tomato, watermelon, and cucumber we planted it up and growing :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Awesome. I plan on planting a few veggies for my garden. The plan is to go green and grow my own veggie garden and thereby have organic home grown veggies for the table. But it is a slow process. I have runner beans, kale, endive, squash, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes. I need to still get cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower as well.
That sounds like an awesome garden!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
do you dry out or add anything to the horse manure?
I used to have two horses. My house is situated on a corner lot about an acre of land. Along the side street and in front of the pastures there's a line of bushes and trees, and under those plantings the ground is raised a bit, about three feet, from the street. The section along the front of the pastures is about 50' long. So I have an area 50'x 6' and that's where I've dumped the horse manure - for many, many years. I would dump the wheelbarrow, then spread the manure out. Over the years the manure under the top layer breaks down and turns to dirt. So when I want to use it for fertilizer I just scrape away the top layer and dig out the decomposed stuff. I haven't had horses now for about three or four years, so nothing's been added to the pile accept garden trash.

I don't have a good picture of the manure pile, but it's on the other side of the white rail fence, under the trees on the left side of the picture:
April and Misty b.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I used to have two horses. My house is situated on a corner lot about an acre of land. Along the side street and in front of the pastures there's a line of bushes and trees, and under those plantings the ground is raised a bit, about three feet, from the street. The section along the front of the pastures is about 50' long. So I have an area 50'x 6' and that's where I've dumped the horse manure - for many, many years. I would dump the wheelbarrow, then spread the manure out. Over the years the manure under the top layer breaks down and turns to dirt. So when I want to use it for fertilizer I just scrape away the top layer and dig out the decomposed stuff. I haven't had horses now for about three or four years, so nothing's been added to the pile accept garden trash.

I don't have a good picture of the manure pile, but it's on the other side of the white rail fence, under the trees on the left side of the picture:
View attachment 284988
No wonder you have such an amazing garden!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks Yvonne. So far none of the seeds that I planted have sprouted. So the next plan is to go to the garden center and buy them already semi-established.
All my seeds have sprouted except the squash. Now I have to remember to water them. We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday and I'll bet the soil has really dried out, but I'm not in the habit of looking at that area and I forget all about the little container garden. I'll have to try to remember to look at it this a.m. when I go out to feed.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
All my seeds have sprouted except the squash. Now I have to remember to water them. We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday and I'll bet the soil has really dried out, but I'm not in the habit of looking at that area and I forget all about the little container garden. I'll have to try to remember to look at it this a.m. when I go out to feed.
Don't forget to go and water them.

"Skip an hour or two."

Yvonne have you watered them yet?

"Skip an hour two again"

Go water them Yvonne. ......:D:D;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't forget to go and water them.

"Skip an hour or two."

Yvonne have you watered them yet?

"Skip an hour two again"

Go water them Yvonne. ......:D:D;)

LOL!

I actually did forget to go take a look, but just as I was about to go in the house your 'gentle' reminder flew through the ether and struck me on the forehead. All the seeds except squash have sprouted and are growing nicely, and I watered them!