Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Have you ever tried freezing or otherwise preserving your prickly pear fruit? My season for them here is way too short and they have not kept well for me
When saving fruit for future use it's important not to break the seal where the fruit meets the pad. If the bottom of the fruit is broke or cut open they don't last as long.(hope that makes sense) All I do is bag em and put in the refrigerator. Here is a pic of some of the 282 I removed on the 19 of June fruit.jpg If they have started to ripen on the plant they may not last as long as the greener ones picked right after blooming.I can usually pick fruit up until the first freeze even after they have ripened and turned purple.I have never froze the fruit, but I did store some in a closed container full of water in the refrigerator for several months, they stayed firm but smelled different.

Alicia Hoogstra

I love your irises Alicia! The blush pink!ahhhh!!!! Live the columbines too, all I have is the yellow all over the place. Get lots of babies of that one every year
These aren't the invasive ones like the yellow. I also have several varieties of Tall Bearded iris.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
When saving fruit for future use it's important not to break the seal where the fruit meets the pad. If the bottom of the fruit is broke or cut open they don't last as long.(hope that makes sense) All I do is bag em and put in the refrigerator. Here is a pic of some of the 282 I removed on the 19 of June View attachment 245220 If they have started to ripen on the plant they may not last as long as the greener ones picked right after blooming.I can usually pick fruit up until the first freeze even after they have ripened and turned purple.I have never froze the fruit, but I did store some in a closed container full of water in the refrigerator for several months, they stayed firm but smelled different.

Thanks Len, that helps

Alicia Hoogstra

In MI the taller I call them Louisiana iris's go crazy! I find little ones all over and have to pull them out! Lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When saving fruit for future use it's important not to break the seal where the fruit meets the pad. If the bottom of the fruit is broke or cut open they don't last as long.(hope that makes sense) All I do is bag em and put in the refrigerator. Here is a pic of some of the 282 I removed on the 19 of June View attachment 245220 If they have started to ripen on the plant they may not last as long as the greener ones picked right after blooming.I can usually pick fruit up until the first freeze even after they have ripened and turned purple.I have never froze the fruit, but I did store some in a closed container full of water in the refrigerator for several months, they stayed firm but smelled different.

All I can say is Wow!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Bambam1989

East Texas
My wife and I (Mostly I) start taking interest in succulents. So we started with few type below, They are from both Home depot and Lowe's.

View attachment 245947 View attachment 245948 View attachment 245949 View attachment 245950 View attachment 245951 View attachment 245952 View attachment 245953
Whenever I go to home Depot or Lowe's I always pickup the leaves from the succulents that broke off and are just laying around. I bring them home and try to get them to root.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Whenever I go to home Depot or Lowe's I always pickup the leaves from the succulents that broke off and are just laying around. I bring them home and try to get them to root.
Great idea. I may start to doing that also.

Hello Honey.........Let's go to Home depot! ! ! ! ! ! ! ;););)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
My wife and I (Mostly I) start taking interest in succulents. So we started with few type below, They are from both Home depot and Lowe's.

View attachment 245947 View attachment 245948 View attachment 245949 View attachment 245950 View attachment 245951 View attachment 245952 View attachment 245953
Very nice!! :) We just came back from a weeklong vacation to find our yard an absolute jungle. And we didn't even get a lot of rain. We're also redoing our kitchen this summer, so my yard looks terrible this year, so unkempt. :confused:
Do you know the name of this rounded and large succulent?

View attachment 246052 View attachment 246053 View attachment 246054
I don't know but it's pretty cool!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So, I’ve seen those cute ones in the galvanized pots that you hung up.
Do you need to repot them?
I always want to grab a few(not cheap) but I’m too lazy to repot them. Thoughts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, I’ve seen those cute ones in the galvanized pots that you hung up.
Do you need to repot them?
I always want to grab a few(not cheap) but I’m too lazy to repot them. Thoughts?
Succulents can ALMOST live on air, so you won't need to repot right away, however, the root system may get bigger than the pot allows, and it would then need to be repotted.