Garage enclosure

pmorillo1102

Location (City and/or State)
Woonsocket
Hello My name is Priscilla and I have 3 Sulcatas one being the reason for this post is a 5 year old 50 pounder named DOZER <3. The other two are little babes
We recently got him a few months ago and we adore him , me more than my husband.
We built him an outdoor enclosure that he loves but plan to expand next season but currently working on his indoor garage enclosure , its pretty much built and is 6 x10 with a portion extending into cave but I have some questions about heating and lighting
I purchased a 125 watt halogen bulb for UVB/UVA light and heat
He has a heat mat 29 x29 that he loves and heats his outdoor cave nicely that we will move into an indoor enclosure
I put 3x3 of flat stone for basking
and plan to use a electric heat blower for continues heating. I'm aware this could be pricey but we are fine with this we were aware that husbandry for these guys can be pricey but open to alternatives
the floor of the garage is covered in rubber mats and then covered with 1st cut hay
The entirety of enclosure will be covered overhead ( dome like ) with poly sheeting to keep heat in and humidity
my questions are is this sufficient for supporting adequate heat in an indoor enclosure? is bulb wattage appropriate? bath soaking how do others accomplish this in the winter months?
do they like enrichment in enclosure ? I feel like they would get bored. is there anything else I should be thinking of. Also planning on growing his food so would love some tips on this.
Open To suggestions and critiques Thanks guys!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello My name is Priscilla and I have 3 Sulcatas one being the reason for this post is a 5 year old 50 pounder named DOZER <3. The other two are little babes
We recently got him a few months ago and we adore him , me more than my husband.
We built him an outdoor enclosure that he loves but plan to expand next season but currently working on his indoor garage enclosure , its pretty much built and is 6 x10 with a portion extending into cave but I have some questions about heating and lighting
He has a heat mat 29 x29 that he loves and heats his outdoor cave nicely that we will move into an indoor enclosure
and plan to use a electric heat blower for continues heating. I'm aware this could be pricey but we are fine with this we were aware that husbandry for these guys can be pricey but open to alternatives
the floor of the garage is covered in rubber mats and then covered with 1st cut hay
The entirety of enclosure will be covered overhead ( dome like ) with poly sheeting to keep heat in and humidity
my questions are is this sufficient for supporting adequate heat in an indoor enclosure? is bulb wattage appropriate? bath soaking how do others accomplish this in the winter months?
do they like enrichment in enclosure ? I feel like they would get bored. is there anything else I should be thinking of. Also planning on growing his food so would love some tips on this.
Welcome, you in Rhode Island? Your post is kinda complex, so rereading in necessary. So you are going to have 3 bulldozers of some size and strength in your basement, in a few years? For how many months? I keep Sulcata in the Pacific North West, and they are confined in a heated insulated shed. But with global warming we don't have much of a winter anymore

pmorillo1102

Woonsocket
Welcome, you in Rhode Island? Your post is kinda complex, so rereading in necessary. So you are going to have 3 bulldozers of some size and strength in your basement, in a few years? For how many months? I keep Sulcata in the Pacific North West, and they are confined in a heated insulated shed. But with global warming we don't have much of a winter anymore
Hello! And thank you! Yes alot of thoughts thrown together I know . Yes I am In Rhode island and the weather is nice from April ish to September/October currently it's still warm out , 70s but we have a had few days where it's been in the 40s and we just bring him in the house but we plan on only keeping the larger tortoise in an enclosure we built in the garage . The other two are very young and are also in a made enclosure in one of our spare rooms. We have about 2 acres In a city area so we do have the space to expand the outdoor enclosure eventually when they all are large but by then hope to own a bigger amount of land.

pmorillo1102

Woonsocket
Appropriateness will only be known when you use a thermometer.
Agreed I have a Bluetooth set up thermometer set up for when he eventually is in there
Hello! And thank you! Yes alot of thoughts thrown together I know . Yes I am In Rhode island and the weather is nice from April ish to September/October currently it's still warm out , 70s but we have a had few days where it's been in the 40s and we just bring him in the house but we plan on only keeping the larger tortoise in an enclosure we built in the garage . The other two are very young and are also in a made enclosure in one of our spare rooms. We have about 2 acres In a city area so we do have the space to expand the outdoor enclosure eventually when they all are large but by then hope to own a bigger amount of land.
As far as our winters they range from November to March and sometimes drops to single digits in January February.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Like Will said above, you really won’t know how well or not your heating system works until you have it all set up and operational and it gets cold outside & then measure the temps. I’m guessing your garage/set-up is attached to your house and on a concrete slab. Those slabs are real heat sinks and drain the heat out. Even though you have pads and hay, it’s going to be difficult to get that cozy warm feeling your Sully(s) need to survive. You’ll need plenty of heat to heat up the slab and space.

Soaking - Once inside for winter, I usually spray our Sully down every few days & try to keep the heated envlosure extra humid.

Enrichment - not so much. They seem to be happy when fed, watered & left alone. No need for a toy.

Good luck growing enough food in the Winter. Pick up a 25# bag of Mazuri. Do you feed that yet?

Good luck.

pmorillo1102

Woonsocket
Yes totally makes sense but I will definitely beef up the heat support for sure and improve insulation. All three eat mazuri and absolutely love it ! I don't expect to grow enough right away for sure but we will see how it goes. Thank you !

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
Ahahah yes he hates it already . I can't believe how annoyed the get by that. Still so cute when they do it ?
the heat mat will be a "go to" if your tort gets cold. get everything set up and take temp checks on his shell with temp gun. get him outside on sunny calm days. mine went out on a 57 degree sunny day and shell was 95! they will let you know what they need if you are attentive.... also go barefoot in your garage...;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see a couple fo major problems, in addition to the heating problems.

1. You can't use heat lamps or CHEs over large tortoises. You'll burn the carapace and it doesn't warm them enough when they are down on a cold floor anyway. Also, halogens don't make UV. Do you mean you have a mercury vapor bulb? Either the MVB or the halogen will desiccate the carapace. Not the way to go. The ambient temp on the floor will need to be kept at 80 or more all winter. Then you could make and indoor box that is kept warmer, like a warm cave. Your heat mat should work for that along with an over head radiant heat panel.

2. 6x10 is not enough room for a 50 pound tropical tortoise.That would be tight for a five pounder. Sulcata need room to walk around. Locomotion helps with digestion, much like a horse.

Here is the current and correct care info for the babies. Most of what is out there is all wrong.

pmorillo1102

Woonsocket
I see a couple fo major problems, in addition to the heating problems.

1. You can't use heat lamps or CHEs over large tortoises. You'll burn the carapace and it doesn't warm them enough when they are down on a cold floor anyway. Also, halogens don't make UV. Do you mean you have a mercury vapor bulb? Either the MVB or the halogen will desiccate the carapace. Not the way to go. The ambient temp on the floor will need to be kept at 80 or more all winter. Then you could make and indoor box that is kept warmer, like a warm cave. Your heat mat should work for that along with an over head radiant heat panel.

2. 6x10 is not enough room for a 50 pound tropical tortoise.That would be tight for a five pounder. Sulcata need room to walk around. Locomotion helps with digestion, much like a horse.

Here is the current and correct care info for the babies. Most of what is out there is all wrong.
Thank you alot of information and well written. So How big should an indoor winter enclosure be for a roughly 16 in x 14 inch Sulcata be ? What do you recommend to people who have them in colder areas. I have read many people keeping them in their basement for the winter ? How big are these basements or do you not recommend this ? As far as lighting/heating , I will definitely make these changes I would not want to burn him.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thank you alot of information and well written. So How big should an indoor winter enclosure be for a roughly 16 in x 14 inch Sulcata be ? What do you recommend to people who have them in colder areas. I have read many people keeping them in their basement for the winter ? How big are these basements or do you not recommend this ? As far as lighting/heating , I will definitely make these changes I would not want to burn him.
Basements are lower and more protected. My floor is a steady 60 degrees in the winter, but in order to heat on top of it you must heat the concrete below to temp or it will draw in the heat (heat sink). A garage floor will fluctuate through your nasty winters and could get into 40’s since it is at ground level. The trick is to isolate with wood and insulation making a floor wall- basic 2”x4” wall construction with solid foam insulation. Then you can make a heated hide with a Kane heat mat with an RHP over head

pmorillo1102

Woonsocket
Basements are lower and more protected. My floor is a steady 60 degrees in the winter, but in order to heat on top of it you must heat the concrete below to temp or it will draw in the heat (heat sink). A garage floor will fluctuate through your nasty winters and could get into 40’s since it is at ground level. The trick is to isolate with wood and insulation making a floor wall- basic 2”x4” wall construction with solid foam insulation. Then you can make a heated hide with a Kane heat mat with an RHP over head
I do have a basement but its a basement I wouldn't even want to be down there although I understand the pros. We will be building a floor wall this weekend just need to get more wood. Great idea thank you!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I do have a basement but its a basement I wouldn't even want to be down there although I understand the pros. We will be building a floor wall this weekend just need to get more wood. Great idea thank you!
Experience is learning from mistakes so I am happy to pass it along so you do not have to repeat!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Wow your comment reads like you are standing out in my own tort shed. But we didn't make the foundation secure, and all the critters chewing on that sheet insulation for nests has my floor temp at 70 degrees.
when you see 'possums sleeping with the rats under my house I know the rats are winning
100_4354.JPG
this is Big Sam in his sleeping box, on a Kane mat and using a rheostat
100_3976.JPG