Galapagos torts for zoos

Do you think zoos should have Galapagos torts?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not usually Terry. They are proving very difficult to reproduce in captivity most of the time. Only a few people have had any success at all. Jerry Fife just produced his first four hatchlings a couple of months ago. Most zoos have failed entirely. Males are hard to come by. From what I have gathered there are several different sub species from different areas with in the range and they do not inter breed well. DNA testing is helping to sort things out and get the right groups together. Everyone is hopeful for the future.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Madkins007 said:
You should read either of the very good books about Lonesome George for a pretty well-rounded discussion of this issue as it applies to George, galops in general, and indeed- the role of man in conservation. It is really a pretty complicated issue.

- Lonesome George: The Life and Loves of the World's Most Famous Tortoise (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0330450115/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 )

- The Last Tortoise: A Tale of Extinction in Our Lifetime (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0674049926/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 )- which I have not read and listed only for its reputation.

I already ordered those on Amazon, as well as A Sheltered Life: the Unexpected History of the Giant Tortoise. Looking forward to seeing those in a few weeks.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Not usually Terry. They are proving very difficult to reproduce in captivity most of the time. Only a few people have had any success at all. Jerry Fife just produced his first four hatchlings a couple of months ago. Most zoos have failed entirely. Males are hard to come by. From what I have gathered there are several different sub species from different areas with in the range and they do not inter breed well. DNA testing is helping to sort things out and get the right groups together. Everyone is hopeful for the future.

Didn't know that...I assumed they bred as easily as Aldabras.

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom. :cool:

JacksonR

5 Year Member
If it weren't for zoos and the Charles Darwin Research station, many of the subspecies would be extinct. The CDRS breeds and releases most of the subspecies back to their home islands. G. Hoodensis would be extinct for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.