Gaia's Winter Surprise

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Hello Everyone!

I know I haven't been around in awhile and to tell the truth, after WalkingRock passed, I had little interest in seeing torts other than mine.

Other than that, Life carries on. Today I was out in the yard fixing broken sprinkler heads (I hade 4 that I knew of). I worked my way from the front yard to the back yard. when I get to the back yard I am stupefied to witness my little Gaia (not so little now at 25 lbs) throwing her first clutch of eggs.....right next to the next sprinkler head I needed to fix! I got a few Pics and a couple of videos. All in all she laid about 16-18 eggs then packed them tight and fluffed the grass around it. the spot looks almost undisturbed when she was done!

Here's a few pics. I may upload the videos later.
IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

IMG_7906.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

IMG_7909.JPG IMG_7910.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats.
OMG, I can't believe they are all grown up.lol.
Like Heathers Levi and a few others, your two are extra special to me as I have watch them grow from the beginning.
Keep us updated on the clutch please.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
How exciting. You are lucky that you caught her laying the eggs since she covered the nest up where the ground basically looked undisturbed.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
How exciting. You are lucky that you caught her laying the eggs since she covered the nest up where the ground basically looked undisturbed.

And to think.... I almost put off changing my broken sprinkler heads because we’ve had rain and I knew the sprinklers would not go off for a couple of more days. Awful glad I fought off a bad case of “The Lazies”!