Future Sulcata Owner-Nervous with LOTS of questions. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Hello and happy Veterans day!
I joined Turtle Forum because I am thinking about getting a Sulcata Tortoise. :D A co-worker of mine recieved one as a gift but due to the size, she cannot keep it.
I have done LOTS of research, including reading the sulcata-station up and down but I still have some questions.
I have already picked out who I am going to purchase from, and the tortoise that I will be purchasing will be about 2 inches.
P.S. I am not completely inexperienced, I owned aqua turtles for several years however I have never owned a tortoise.

1) My little guys environment:
  • My father is a contractor and very good with his hands, so he will help me build a suitable indoor habitat for my little guy(or girl). I was wondering if you guys had any pictures of your sulcatas environment.
  • For the substrate- I think I am going to go with the 50/50(Coconut fibers&Topsoil) but I want to know if I am looking at the correct topsoil. I know that it has to be organic. It says that it is "Premium blend of organic material plus peat moss" It also states that it has no rocks or sticks, but according to someone who wrote a review it has some sticks stones and rocks in it. This is the product I am looking at. http://www.lowes.com...|1&facetInfo= Is this stuff okay? What do you use?
  • I understand that my sulcata need UVB light. Personally, I love the sunlight too so I do all of my reading outside in my yard. Therefore, my sulcata will get at least an hour outside under the Florida sun. Do I also need to get an artificial UVB light for in his habitat indoors?
  • What do I feed him while he is indoors? Should I collect some grass clippings from outside to give him? Or do you suggest that I get hay grass?

2) My big guys environment(I know it won't be for awhile but I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into)
  • I have a large yard and plan on giving him a large section of it to claim as his. Any pictures of your tortoises outside habitat will be greatly appreciated.
  • I live in the middle of Fl so it gets pretty hot. Sulcata Station says not to keep his enclosure more than 85 F, but it can get high 90s in the summer, will I have to bring him inside? Or can I just provide clean water for him to soak in and a shady spot to hide in the sun?
  • We do not get very cold winters but I understand that at least for a couple weeks it will be too cold for his likings. At what temp do you think is unsuitable for him in the winter? What are your indoor enclosures like for a large sulcata during the winters?
  • I'm also concerned about the grass. I have pesticide free grass so that is not an issue at all. Sulcata Station lists different grasses that they can eat. But idk what kind I have! I just know that it matches everybody elses average grass in Fl. Is this okay for him to eat? Along with cuttlebone bits? Will I also need to provide him with hay grass or is my grass enough?
  • Also If I provide a hide box for him to burrow in, will he also burrow into my yard? Of course it's okay if he does though, I'm just curious And do they actually rip up the grass? Like destroy it? Or do they just sort of graze the top? Like will there be patches of grass missing because of him?
  • What should I use as a water source for him in this enclosure?

3) Random extra questions.
  • I have seen forums with people talking about their beak overgrowth but I haven't found out that much about it. What is it exactly and is there anyway to prevent it? Does it harm them? Any info I can get on this will be great.
  • I will be the first to admit that I am a small person. I did gymnastics and springboard diving for 12 years growing up and it greatly stunted my growth as I have peaked at 4ft 11.75in<--- Yes that .75inch makes a big difference to me! And I only weigh in at 107 lbs. And let me tell you, one of my biggest concerns is how I am going to handle my tortoise, afterall, he can grow to be 100 lbs larger than me! Am I going to be able to handle him? Being a former elite gymnast I am strong but 50 years down the road I don't know if I will be able to pick up my big guy. What if he doesn't soak himself or drink on his own and I need to pick him up and soak him myself? I suppose I can get help but I was wondering if lightly spraying with a hose would do? Do they enjoy this? Is it okay?

I am sorry that this post is so long, much longer than I thought it would be. I apologize for that. But I understand that this is a HUGE commitment and want to make sure I give him or her the best life possible. Any information will be GREATLY appreciated. And don't just show me pictures of your enclosures, I want to see your beautiful sulcatas too!!

And let me just say...
I'M SO EXCITED TO GET MY LITTLE GUY!!!!
:) :D :p :) :D :p

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
You should be excited b/c they are AMAZING! What you have so far sounds really good. Sounds like you have a solid grasp on what needs to be done. Keep in mind it's going to get BIIIIG! Luckily you're in Florida, so you have a legs up on me. Hang tight & I'm sure someone w/lots of experience will pick up on your thread and give you tons & tons of great advice. In the mean time just do some searching on here. You'll find lots of useful information. Welcome to the forum! :):)

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
I can't answer most of your questions:) but I DO know that most likely your grass is St. AUGUSTINE and I've seen on here that the torts love it:) I live in Florida and St. Augustine is about all you'll find around here. I wanted something different so I put zoysia down in my backyard and my sully won't even lick it:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi erdavis:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome, sounds like you are on the right track! Great job on your research! When you get your Sully we want pics!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there any chance you might be able to take in your co-worker's sulcata instead of getting a baby?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Morty the Torty said:
I can't answer most of your questions:) but I DO know that most likely your grass is St. AUGUSTINE and I've seen on here that the torts love it:) I live in Florida and St. Augustine is about all you'll find around here. I wanted something different so I put zoysia down in my backyard and my sully won't even lick it:(

Thanks! Glad to know that I have tasty grass :)
Do you let your sully graze your grass? How much does he eat? - are there patches and such in your yard due to him?

erdavis

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Is there any chance you might be able to take in your co-worker's sulcata instead of getting a baby?

I just typed up my reply to you and thought I posted it but I dont see it so I'm typing it again. So sorry if this shows up twice.

But I just realized how bad I typed up my first post! I told you guys the middle and end but left out the middle! Suppose I was expecting you to read my mind! :rolleyes: haha.
But my co-worker recieved a sully as a gift(I'm not sure how it big it was when she got it). But it grew larger and larger and she realized she couldn't give it the proper care. She knows of a lady who has two sullys, but thats all she has room for. So I am going to purchase their smallest one, which is about 2 inches, and she is going to take in my co-workers larger one.
I would just take in the sully my co-worker currently has, but the other lady currently has a larger one(about the size of my co-workers) and then the baby(which I am going to purchase), and she is worried that her larger one may hurt the baby. Does this make any sense? I know it is confusing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Here's a whole bunch of info for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Helpful-Threads#axzz1dPo7odVQ

My experience forces me to disagree with a lot of what is out there in books and on the internet. And keep in mind while you read anything on sulcata care, are they talking about hatchlings or adults? Often they don't even make a distinction. These threads above are what I have discovered and what has worked for me. These threads cover most of your questions, but I'll answer them anyway. Read the "Hatchling Failure Syndrome" thread BEFORE you buy. It will tell you the right questions to ask your breeder to avoid tragedy down the road.

1. For enclosures: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Closed-Chambers#axzz1dPo7odVQ
2. Your substrate sounds fine.
3. With an hour of sun a day, you do not need artificial UV. Regular incandescent hardware store bulbs will be fine to provide heat while indoors. Having said that, there is no harm in using a mercury vapor bulb indoors either.
4. Read the care sheets for diet. Babies won't usually eat dry hay. That is more for adults.
5. Search around for enclosure pics. Lots of us have posted lots of them.
6. All ages will do fine outside in the FL summers with shade and a proper enclosure. They love mud baths and sprinklers when its hot. It gets 118 here every summer and all of my adult and juveniles are outside. Some of them have underground shelters and use these to retreat from the hot summer days.
7. This, or something similar, should work for your winters. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1dPo7odVQ
8. It is shocking how much they can eat during warm weather. Your yard may not be enough once he get 50+ pounds. Bermuda grass hay is a great way to supplement. Also start growing cactus, grapevines and mulberry trees right now.
9. If they have enough other food, your grass should survive. You can also section him off, so some grass sections have time to recover while he grazes on others. If left to his own devices you will have bare dirt and likely a burrow or two. Proper housing and food management will alleviate some of this. It also just depends on the size of the area you give him. The bigger the better. 5 acres would not be too big although they will be just fine with significantly less. (Like a big back yard.)
10. Any shallow tub will work for water. I use pizza dough tubs from a pizza restaurant. Upside down trash can lids also work. They all work best if you dig a hole and sink them flush with the ground. Same thing as in a baby enclosure indoors.
11. Don't worry about the beak unless it becomes a problem. With an outdoor grazing sulcata, it almost never becomes a problem.
12. Don't worry about soaks and spraying too much for adults. They can go months with NO water (not that anyone should do this). They will drink out of puddles every time it rains and will drink out of your water "dish" when they feel like it. Your FL humidity will go a long way in keeping an adult hydrated too. I soak my adults once in a while here because its so dry, but they probably would be fine if I didn't.

Glad you are excited and trying to learn ahead of time. Sulcatas are my favorite species and they are great, but do to their size and nature, they do require a bit more to care for them than some of the other species. They are not the best tortoise for everyone. Have you looked at other species too? Like redfoots maybe? Just throwing that out there. Good luck whatever you decide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
erdavis said:
I just typed up my reply to you and thought I posted it but I dont see it so I'm typing it again. So sorry if this shows up twice.

New members' posts are moderated for their first five posts. After that they will show up without having to be approved first.

erdavis

5 Year Member
This is EXTREMELY helpful! Thank you so much!
I found turtleforum first and posted the same thing and nobody answered me! I am going to stick to this one instead!
Thanks guys! I feel alot better knowing that if I have any questions down the road I can get help :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id consider taking the coworkers still.. hatchlings can be heartbreakers...
there are so many in need of homes... for the exact reason as your co-worker..
they do best by themselves...so having one is fine.
regardless... its ounds like you are educating yourself first and that is 80% of the battle. :)
welcome!!

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Now Tom's sulcata info was about as perfect and easy to understand as it gets, imo :D. I too am new at sulcata's and I been just about all over the internet for info and this site (tortoiseforum.org) is by far the best I have came across. I even like that the members in here feed the popular tortoise pellets and chow to their tort as "part" of their diet. Where most other sites try to turn you away from using such food at all and make them out to be one of the worst foods you can feed to any torts. But I think Tom about covered it all for you. And Welcome to the group :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock is 11 and has a 1/4 acre back yard. I have a wide variety of grasses growing in the yard that bloom and grow at differant times of the year. In Texas, thats not too diffacult. He didn't turn into a Full Time out doors tort till he was 5 or 6 so you still have a little time to get your yard in order. Burmuda grass is my main Summer grass and he mows random paths thru it if I dont cut weekly. Fall and spring I have Alfalfa and Rye and thru out the winter he devestates my beds of Monkey Grass. WARNING... if you have Morning Glorys or Moon Flowers growing on your fences, Tear them down....These plants are poisonious to Torts, However, you can replace them with HoneySuckles. Thier not as pretty but they do smell better and torts love them.... Grape leaves too!

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
erdavis said:
Morty the Torty said:

Thanks! Glad to know that I have tasty grass :)
Do you let your sully graze your grass? How much does he eat? - are there patches and such in your yard due to him?

babies just eat the blades, they don't rip it out of the ground unless you have grass seedlings. Morty loves weeds and he doesn't stick to one spot, he loves to move around:)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
erdavis said:
Thanks for all the info. What do you suggest I keep the humidity level at?

80 % seems to be the average on here at where people keep the humidity for sulcatas. Can't wait to see a picture of your new tortoise ! Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.