Future crazy tortoise lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaseNTx

5 Year Member
About 6 weeks ago my son was given a female Russian by a "thoughtful" family member. She was sadly in a 20 gallon tank and we were told give her Romaine lettuce and clean water and she would be fine. I immediately found this wonderful forum and realized everything we were told was all wrong. Since I currently couldn't afford to give her what she deserved I was lucky enough to find a perfect new home for her on this forum. She has been gone now for 2 weeks and I miss her terribly. Even though I no longer have a tortoise I spend hours reading this forum and learning the right way these adorable babies should be taken care of. I'm sure that with proper preparation and time I could be an awesome tortoise mom. I told my son that when he grows up and leaves me that I'm going to be a mom to a tortoise. :)
So now my question, what would be the best type for me to raise from a hatchling? I see that Russians and Herrmann(sp) are usually recommended but I'm seem to be more attracted to the ones with the beautiful and different shells. I'm thinking this is going to be about a year long preProject but want to get recommendations now. What do you experienced families recommend and why?
Thanks in advance & I'm sorry for the long winded question.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
1) thank you for her. She is doing great. Of you EVER want to see pictures, just ask.
2) I agree that when you get one, a Russian is a good starter, they stay small and are very personable. One would be better than two, because two Russians will almost always fight.
3) Chase will be introduced to my other Russians soon, and when she does, if she lays eggs, I will incubate them, and if they hatch, you can have any baby you want.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
What a great outcome, and wonderful, thoughtful people!

I rescued a Sulcata at work (vet tech) and in 2 months I've become the crazy tortoise lady at the end of the street...and PROUD of it.
I have two now, and getting a third tortoise Friday from a forum member. Welcome to crazy town, population...uh...how many of us here on TFO?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some questions first:

Where are you?
How much space do you have indoors and out?
Is cost a big factor?

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Tom, i can answer one of those for her (she gave me the one in the story) she is in DFW area

ChaseNTx

5 Year Member
Tom, As Chase's new owner said I do live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As far as space I have a decent size back yard for snacking and cruising around and we are already looking at how to set up a secure area. The indoor space is a little more limited but I have a spare bedroom that could be used but I really want the inside living space to be in the living room. I think I could accommodate a 4x8 space fairly easily in the living room. The upfront set up costs will not be a problem as I'm planning on doing it over time before I bring a baby home instead of having to take care of everything all in one expensive chunk. The ongoing care including vet if required should also not be a problem. Are there any other expenses that I'm overlooking?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
You want a Hermann's...lots of personality in a smaller package.

I live in Wise Country, just to the west of y'all, and the climate here is great for European tortoises.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I live in Dallas as well, as do several members on here. I have been checking craigslist quite a bit and a good starter turtle would be a rescue box turtle! You can get then for next to nothing and they are very personable. They require very little when kept outdoors as they will hunt bugs and eat veggies and fruit off your table. Give them a big garden and a nice place to swim and they are golden! Also, they grow quite slowly and there are several baby and juveniles on cl right now that would do great in a 20 gallon fish tank if you have the proper lighting and substrate.

ChaseNTx

5 Year Member
Thank you every one for sharing your thoughts on what type of tortoise I should begin with. I was already leaning towards a Russian but the sweet sweet family that took in my sons tortoise has made an incredible offer of giving me a baby from the female Russian we gave them if she produces offspring. I'm excited although I know it could be a long wait but that just gives me more time to plan for a baby and have its home ready if and when it arrives!

Status
Not open for further replies.