Fussy Sulcata help ?

Vikkirober

Location (City and/or State)
Bury st edmunds
So I have an 8mth old sulcata changed her environment as advised in March and she’s so much better . My problem now is she’s so fussy I offer supermarket lettuces the correct ones and forage in the garden every day . This includes dandelions ,clover,chick weed, grass, dock leaf ,blind nettles ,bind weeds ,honey suckle flowers rose petals , pansies sow thistle anything else I come across different bits each day and soaked tortoise pellets . Plus put mineral supplements on every day calcium powder once a week . She eats the lettuce sometimes lots some days little barely touches the garden stuff. She weighs 67g just worrying that she should be gaining weight more rapidly and growing more . Love this little tortoise very much just want to do the best for her /him .

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Are you keeping a growth chart for it? Any increase or decrease in weight over a several week period?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All temps and humidity are correct?
95-100 basking
80 all over day and night
Humidity 80%.
Does he love the mazuri like most do? If so take one or two soaked pieces and smear it all over the weeds and stop the grocery greens for a while.
Stop the mineral supplements for now. In fact unless you have a specific reason for using them, a proper diet should he enough.
See if that helps to eat more and more of the weeds/flowers. Then you can slowly add back in the grocery greens and if you want to add in the minerals do it once or twice a week.

Vikkirober

Bury st edmunds
All temps and humidity are correct?
95-100 basking
80 all over day and night
Humidity 80%.
Does he love the mazuri like most do? If so take one or two soaked pieces and smear it all over the weeds and stop the grocery greens for a while.
Stop the mineral supplements for now. In fact unless you have a specific reason for using them, a proper diet should he enough.
See if that helps to eat more and more of the weeds/flowers. Then you can slowly add back in the grocery greens and if you want to add in the minerals do it once or twice a week.
Yes they are no doesn’t like the mazuri ok will stop grocery greens ?I only add minerals etc so am hoping the diet isn’t lacking somewhere. Thank you for your advice will try from tomorrow

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can also chop up the grocery lettuces fine and then chop up the weeds fine and use about 50/50 mix. Spritz with water. As he eats it use less and less greens and more weeds. Once he is eating more weeds, you can add the greens back in but only about 25% greens to 75%weeds.
Also leave the food in all day. They will graze throughout the day.

Potato_king

Oman
Exactly like my Greeks.. They're giving me a very hard time.
One thing worked for me is reducing their meals. I used to give them 3-4 meals a day, but I noticed how picky they have become so I reduced their meals to 1-2 a day.
They are still very Fussy but better than before.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reduc
Exactly like my Greeks.. They're giving me a very hard time.
One thing worked for me is reducing their meals. I used to give them 3-4 meals a day, but I noticed how picky they have become so I reduced their meals to 1-2 a day.
They are still very Fussy but better than before.
Reducing food will not help them gain weight. A big pile should be fed in the morning and left all day. If they eat it all then give more. Food should be available all day for grazing on when they want, like in the wild.

Potato_king

Oman
Reduc
Reducing food will not help them gain weight. A big pile should be fed in the morning and left all day. If they eat it all then give more. Food should be available all day for grazing on when they want, like in the wild.
Thank you very much for the advice!
I give them big piles of food but they Either trash it or ignore it. They only want lettuce!
nowadays they’re being less Fussy and eat other food.