Fundraiser thread got deleted for some reason??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well I have tried to get a response via PM to keep it private and not alarm people. But we all (well hopefully most should know) that i am the director of a tortoise sanctuary, rescue, and conservation center that I established and recieved federal 501 (c)(3) public charity status in 2008. So being non-profit we sole our base operations off private and public funding. I chose to do use this site and carefully read through the rules and guidlines and saw no apparent conflict of interest or reason not to do it on here. This sign pertains to everything that we do and help others out here on the forum. This fundraiser was closed then removed for some reason.

enclosed are the guidlines that possibly portray the breaking of rules if the funds were used for personal gain, in which they are not.

Contests, fund raising, charities or other personal uses
You cannot use Tortoise Forum to stage a contest or to request donations for any charity or for any "personal" use that you may think of. This includes posting links to sites requesting charitable donations. This includes asking people to donate money or purchase items you are selling here or elsewhere to fund needs of any kind for family, friends, neighbors, pets, other Tortoise Forum members or anyone.
You cannot use Tortoise Forum to stage a contest on your own for any purpose without first getting express approval from the Tortoise Forum Administrator/Owner. You cannot use Tortoise Forum to have everyone vote for you in a contest in which if you win you would receive anything of value -- money, trips, and any other consideration. In short, you may not use Tortoise Forum for your own personal use of any kind without first asking for permission.

My question is why was my fundraiser removed if our sole purpose is not to "personally gain" anything from the fundraiser and just to keep our organization an exemplary facility and to keep those we have thriving. That is looked up to by the community in taking in abandoned, mistreated, unwanted, and extremely endangered species of tortoises. It makes my services on this forum question if I should even stick around if Im going to receive a cold shoulder from fellow tortoise enthusiast and keepers. Its simple if you don't like it don't support us, but for those out there that do want to support it have the option.

So since I didn't get an answer maybe this will expand a more important manor of phrasing my question. I am not trying to start an argument or debate or anything, just would like some clarification.

Thanks,
Kelly Hull

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, because I'm not the one who closed your thread, however, I believe if you had read down further below where you highlighted in red, that it says, "without first asking for permission." Not sure, but that's what jumps out at me.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hmmm yeah that might be the problem. It was just odd to me I put it in the personal promotion section, seems to be an allowable thread under that. I did ask josh but after the fact it was pulled, since I really saw no major conflicts with the rules or guidlines. Maybe he will respond back to me about it.

Thanks yvonne

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
bigred said:
Ya I think you should stick around

Those are quite harsh words I expressed, I have no intentions of leaving. I am just very dedicated to my organization and it kinda frustrated me a little, I put a lot of work into it to accommodate the forum. Its that time of year where I get little sleep trying to extend the organizations hand to our community.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I understand your frustration, but remember that this entire board is run by volunteers that are more interested in raising and talking about tortoises than in moderating everything. We'll make mistakes, ruffle feathers, screw up, and so on once in a while, but the goal is just to have a nice, fun, and safe place to talk about things.

You should see how we agonize over some stuff behind the scenes- second guessing ourselves, trying to balance issues, etc. it would be really funny but the moderators (all of other guys are more active at it than I am) take it pretty seriously.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Madkins007 said:
I understand your frustration, but remember that this entire board is run by volunteers that are more interested in raising and talking about tortoises than in moderating everything. We'll make mistakes, ruffle feathers, screw up, and so on once in a while, but the goal is just to have a nice, fun, and safe place to talk about things.

You should see how we agonize over some stuff behind the scenes- second guessing ourselves, trying to balance issues, etc. it would be really funny but the moderators (all of other guys are more active at it than I am) take it pretty seriously.

Oh yeah I totally understand mark. I was merely stated I was frusctrated with many things among others, in regards to launching my fundraiser publicly. It just seemed to all tumble at once, and then here just kinda made me wonder well I guess its not a good idea to do a fundraiser this year. It got comedic to me after a while. Seems being an optimist I am the best I can do is just laugh when things go wrong. Im sure josh will get back with me. Thanks for all the responses though. Especially from the mods.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I closed your thread and then moved it to moderator discussion.
The rules clearly state
This includes posting links to sites requesting charitable donations. This includes asking people to donate money or purchase items you are selling here or elsewhere to fund needs of any kind for family, friends, neighbors, pets, other Tortoise Forum members or anyone

If you have any further question feel free to ask, the matter is currently under review.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just to be clear, I did respond to your PM asking about this iisue, as soon as I came on that day. Next, my personal issue is I do not see much of a difference between asking for a donation (which comes not only with a great feeling, but helps tortoises and you even can get a "gift"), compared to Sandy Sue Strawberryshortcake selling her tarts in here. Both are exchanging money for an item. One has like I said that going something good feeling attached and the possible added tax break bonus.

BTW... I loved the prints!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I will wait till you guys review it. I suppose I can remove the "fundraiser" aspect about it and just maybe post them as a for sale item and note that all proceeds are for benefit of endangered species. Would this be acceptable? Same as selling cactus, or mazuri its just the money is apportioned differently in the end result?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I see your point about selling... if you are a breeder and selling your hatchlings here for money..
or asking for support for a non profit group that benefits endangered torts.. a rescue or vet bills for a Rescue..
Maybe we need a New section...
Im pretty sure I posted something here before about donating to a non profit and just making people aware of a need and great Org.. it got vey little attention.. but wasn't deleted.
I hope a decision is made soon.. and we can all benefit. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like you, we are waiting for further input from Josh. His first had been it would not be allowed, since then we have added more to the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.