Fun topic: feces and urine

mestacey

5 Year Member
My baby Russian has had soft feces for the past couple of days when that hasn't been the norm. I had been feeding him mostly kale and recently found out I shouldn't, so now it's been dandelion greens, romaine lettuce, and sometimes some grated carrots. Could that cause soft feces? I've also tried to put a tortoise "salad dressing" on his food to supplement and he hardly eats when I use it. He would INHALE the kale. Now he isn't eating as much. Just a little worried and want to take good care of him/her.

Also, is it normal for the urine to be whitish and solid-ish? It leaves this residue that hardens into a white clump in the substrate. I'm new to tortoises so I don't know if that is normal or not.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
The food switch could cause soft feces. Especially if he was only eating the same thing all the time. Kale is good to feed him but you shouldn't feed him that all the time. The key to a good diet is variety.

tguillen

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393210054.581322.jpg
Russian tortoise urine looks like bird droppings like this. The stool should be soft and formed.

Last edited by a moderator:

mestacey

5 Year Member
Thanks guys...so his urine seems normal, it's just his stools are a little soft, we'll see if that adjusts when he gets used to more variety.