Fully grown YBS won't bask?

Martin8

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hello,

I have a fully grown YBS in a large tank (6ft wide, 3ft depth) and I have two large heaters to maintain the correct temperature. I've had her around 8 years and built her a new basking area around 6 months ago. She loved it at first but in the past few weeks she's not been using it as frequently, and when she does she's not up there for very long. I haven't changed anything in her home or the basking area so i'm unsure on what to do. I have considered building her another basking area, one that sits on top of the edge of the tank but that means filling the tank right up and to be honest she's really not the greatest swimmer and never has been. So I am concered that if I put more water in she will struggle to get to the water line. Please can anybody help me I am struggling for any ideas!

Many thanks

Martin

Texas
This is the set up I have for her. Any help please?!
I would suggest to go on ahead and make her a new basking dock and fill the water all the way. This will be beneficial to the turtle and she will be able to get up there. Turtles especially yellow belly sliders are great swimmers. It would be a different story if she was a musk/mud turtle hatchling. In the wild they tend to be in deep bodies of water.

Martin8

Lancashire
I would suggest to go on ahead and make her a new basking dock and fill the water all the way. This will be beneficial to the turtle and she will be able to get up there. Turtles especially yellow belly sliders are great swimmers. It would be a different story if she was a musk/mud turtle hatchling. In the wild they tend to be in deep bodies of water.

Hello,
Thankyou for replying ?? that basking area is a new one I have built, I could raise the water a little more and make the legs a bit higher it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm also going to try and make it look a bit more natural for her, fake grass at the top and a few fake plants and hopefully entice her up that way too. Thanks again!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello,
Thankyou for replying ?? that basking area is a new one I have built, I could raise the water a little more and make the legs a bit higher it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm also going to try and make it look a bit more natural for her, fake grass at the top and a few fake plants and hopefully entice her up that way too. Thanks again!
In my experience it takes them time to get comfortable with a new basking area. That's probably why your turtle isn't basking yet. Give it time.

Martin8

Lancashire
In my experience it takes them time to get comfortable with a new basking area. That's probably why your turtle isn't basking yet. Give it time.

Thankyou again for replying, I'm not on Facebook so I rely on these forums! I have spruced it up a bit and hopefully made it a bit more attractive for her!

Attachments

• IMG-20200425-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20200425-WA0002.jpeg
    844.1 KB · Views: 5