Fruits and how much to give her ?

Paris I love U

Yesterday I got an 18 month old horsfield tortoise and I need to know what fruits to give her and how much of her Komodo food she will need ? I hope you can help thanks x

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Very little..
what is Komodo food?
they like broadleaf greens.. Spring Mix salad mix works well for them.. weeds..

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Fruit is only an occasional treat. The sugars in the fruit is what messes up their tummy, their gut flora, is my understanding. Too much fruit can create a "bloom" of bacteria and such that are not beneficial. If your tortoise has other stress factors, such as temps not being right, or an infection, the bloom can weaken them even further, possibly killing them in the most extreme. That being said, as a little bitty treat every now and then, it is part of the variety in diet needed to keep them healthy. Check out The Tortoise Table website for recommendations, yay or nay, on specific fruits. Here is the link:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not feed any fruit. Most people know its not good and so they say to only feed a little and infrequently. Why? If its not good, why feed it at all, ever? Whatever fruit is fed to them is taking up space from some food that they should have eat that IS good for them.

Skip the fruit. Instead feed more weeds, leaves and leafy greens in its place.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Tom's right.
I have given my tortoises a strawberry here and there, blueberries, kiwi ... because I think they will like it (they do!) and for that whole variety of foods thing, and cause they look so cute eating them sweets ... but what's the point other than I think it's cute how they go gaga over it.
Best to not is exactly right and you avoid any possible problems from it completely. Memo to self: no mas. : )

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
At 18 months its still pretty small and will need a good varied diet with proper amounts of calcium and phosphorus in order to build strong bones, shell, organs and muscles. Fruit doesn't NEED to be part of that equation at all. At that age I stick with weeds and grasses and will usually offer a chunk of Mazuri occasionally as a treat. I don't offer fruit but I also don't get weird about it is one of my adults finds a half eaten apple one of my kids dropped in the enclosure either. One year we had a limb break from the weight of a peach tree. Those were some happy torts.

franz_see

Philippines
Fruit is only an occasional treat. The sugars in the fruit is what messes up their tummy, their gut flora, is my understanding. Too much fruit can create a "bloom" of bacteria and such that are not beneficial. If your tortoise has other stress factors, such as temps not being right, or an infection, the bloom can weaken them even further, possibly killing them in the most extreme. That being said, as a little bitty treat every now and then, it is part of the variety in diet needed to keep them healthy. Check out The Tortoise Table website for recommendations, yay or nay, on specific fruits. Here is the link:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Tom's right.
I have given my tortoises a strawberry here and there, blueberries, kiwi ... because I think they will like it (they do!) and for that whole variety of foods thing, and cause they look so cute eating them sweets ... but what's the point other than I think it's cute how they go gaga over it.
Best to not is exactly right and you avoid any possible problems from it completely. Memo to self: no mas. : )

At 18 months its still pretty small and will need a good varied diet with proper amounts of calcium and phosphorus in order to build strong bones, shell, organs and muscles. Fruit doesn't NEED to be part of that equation at all. At that age I stick with weeds and grasses and will usually offer a chunk of Mazuri occasionally as a treat. I don't offer fruit but I also don't get weird about it is one of my adults finds a half eaten apple one of my kids dropped in the enclosure either. One year we had a limb break from the weight of a peach tree. Those were some happy torts.

Hi @BeeBee*BeeLeaves , @Tom and @kanalomele ,

What if a tortoise (sulcata specifically) already ate too much fruit? And this "bloom" thing might have already happened. My questions then would be:
a.) How would you verify that a tort really ate too much fruit and has got the "bloom", and
b.) How would you correct it?

The reason I ask, is because in a different group, somebody bought an adult sulcata and when he got it, it seemed really weak (walking while dragging his hind legs). And it seems like the original owner fed it with mainly fruit. So right now, the new owner is looking for a way to remedy this (if this really is the problem). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Franz See

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, stop feeding any fruit to start with...

This tortoise is likely suffering from MBD. Another seldom discussed problem with the commonly fed types of fruit is that it has a very poor calcium to phosphorous ratio. Feeding it often can lead to calcium deficiency. Feeding fruit and grocery store greens, without a lot of calcium supplementation will lead to MBD due to calcium deficiency. Keep the tortoise indoors without adequate UV and the problem is compounded.

The solution for this tortoise is the correct diet, lots of UV indoors and out, calcium supplementation, and good hydration through soaks and drinking water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fruit is not that sulcata's problem. Lack of calcium is the culprit.

Let's don't take this old thread off on a tangent. If you want to discuss this more, please start another thread.

franz_see

Philippines
Well, stop feeding any fruit to start with...

This tortoise is likely suffering from MBD. Another seldom discussed problem with the commonly fed types of fruit is that it has a very poor calcium to phosphorous ratio. Feeding it often can lead to calcium deficiency. Feeding fruit and grocery store greens, without a lot of calcium supplementation will lead to MBD due to calcium deficiency. Keep the tortoise indoors without adequate UV and the problem is compounded.

The solution for this tortoise is the correct diet, lots of UV indoors and out, calcium supplementation, and good hydration through soaks and drinking water.
Understood. Great tip! Thanks!

Fruit is not that sulcata's problem. Lack of calcium is the culprit.

Let's don't take this old thread off on a tangent. If you want to discuss this more, please start another thread.
Apologies. I thought my question was highly relevant to the topic. I'll spin off a different topic next time. Thanks :)