Fruit tree leaf as part of food rotation (apple, loquat, peach, lemon)

sagaemia

Location (City and/or State)
Millbrae, California
Hi,

I have an apple tree, a loquat tree, a peach tree, and a lemon tree growing in my backyard. Are the leaves for these fruit tree be ok as part of food rotation for their diet? Currently, they are on spring mix.

I am guessing that lemon leaf would not be good, but apple and loquat would be fine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi,

I have an apple tree, a loquat tree, a peach tree, and a lemon tree growing in my backyard. Are the leaves for these fruit tree be ok as part of food rotation for their diet? Currently, they are on spring mix.

I am guessing that lemon leaf would not be good, but apple and loquat would be fine.

Greetings

It’s always good to check out TheTortoiseTable. It is based more for UK users, and is some say overly cautious, but it does provide a good reference to check.

For example - Apple Leaves
  • The leaves, as they get older and wilt, produce a cyanic compound, so although your tortoise will come to no harm if he accidentally nibbles a few fallen leaves, it is wise to prevent him from doing so if possible
Same for Peach - The leaves, as they get older and wilt, produce a cyanic compound, so although your tortoise will come to no harm if he accidentally nibbles a few fallen leaves, it is wise to prevent him from doing so if possible.