Fruit Flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Sorry if this isn't exactly "Tortoise Health" related, but had no idea where to post this. But it could potentially be health related since it might not be good for him.

We forgot to take out some of the leftover food that my tortoise didn't eat one day. I know that might not be exactly healthy. But there's these little gnat-like fruit fly thing-a-bobbers flying in his cage now. Like a ton.

Are they harmful to my little guy? How do you prevent them? (Other then remembering to take out food.)

Thanks for any help.

:tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are likely nature or sprintails....neuter is harmful...just a bit annoying to see and know that they are there....the ones here eventually played out the larger population...also I allow a couple daddy long legs to set up shop behind the tort enclosure in the corner and I noticed their populations dropped quickly...some may not like that system...but it works well for me...lol

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I gig rid of my fruit flies (or whatever) by getting a praying mantis I raised from a baby (I got an egg in the mail and there were millions! I should gave separated them now that I think about it though, they ate eachother until there was only one left :-/ lol!) and she was SUCH an efficient hunter!!! Scared the daylights out of me when you see this giant green thing flying across the room, but after that I haven't had any problems with those flies since!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
KimandKarasi said:
I gig rid of my fruit flies (or whatever) by getting a praying mantis I raised from a baby (I got an egg in the mail and there were millions! I should gave separated them now that I think about it though, they ate eachother until there was only one left :-/ lol!) and she was SUCH an efficient hunter!!! Scared the daylights out of me when you see this giant green thing flying across the room, but after that I haven't had any problems with those flies since!!
Now that's a good idea. We used to have 'pet' one when I was working in the south of France. It was very efficient fly control indoors :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
KimandKarasi said:

SMART COOKIE**:D
....well done~

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
CLMoss said:
If it is out of control you can get fruit fly traps.

It's not exactly out of control...yet. I know flies breed like crazy, and there's more coming, and I was worried about Mojo's well-being because I saw some get in his food.

Thanks everybody!

:tort:

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I bred fruit flies commercially for 8 years. Drosophila, lay eggs on old fruit and vegetables. The eggs hatch into maggots and then form an instar (cocoon) and ultimately more fruit flies. That cycle takes over a week. So just take out older uneaten food ASAP for a few weeks in a row (or always :) ). And it should interrupt them repopulating themselves.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
acrantophis said:
I bred fruit flies commercially for 8 years. Drosophila, lay eggs on old fruit and vegetables. The eggs hatch into maggots and then form an instar (cocoon) and ultimately more fruit flies. That cycle takes over a week. So just take out older uneaten food ASAP for a few weeks in a row (or always :) ). And it should interrupt them repopulating themselves.

That really helps, thanks!!!!! :tort:

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Window fly traps, stick them on the side of the enclosure. They work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.