fruit flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
i have fruit flies all over my house and now their in my enclosure, how do i get rid of these things! they just went into the enclosure, i really dont want to have to change out the dirt bec i live in an apartment and thatd be a hassle :) so do you guys have any suggestions?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I live in NY & lately have been having the same problem... The cause of my woes was a icky banana on top of the fridge & a bowl w/a tomato in it! Can you cover the top of the enclosure w/something... even temporarily? I bet they're going after your torts food! Feed 'em & take out the leftovers! Good news is that they (fruit fly) have a relatively short life span so if you nip it in the bud now, you shouldn't have to deal w/them in a day or so. Hope that helps a little bit. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Try getting a small plastic container and pour cider or balsamic vinegar in it. Make small perforations in the top and the flies will go in after the vinegar but will be unable to find their way out (mostly). Empty it outside daily, you'll be surprised at how quickly these traps can drop the populations. I usually let them trap for 10-12 hours before emptying. My roommate had some pretty hairy looking tomatoes that I suspect they were the culprit!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Fruitflies invade my house every fall. Probably due to the weather outdoors turning cold. In the kitchen we just make sure that there is no fruit or vegetable left out in unsealed bags or containers. They number in the hundreds in my tortoise room. I suspect they migrate to there because of the tortoise foods. I place Black Flag fly stickers on the sides of some of the flourescent light fixtures in the room. Within a few weeks the vast majority of them have been caught. By late December they all seem to disappear anyway.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
They aren't going to hurt anything. Find where they are coming from and remove it. As said above,their life cycle is so short,they will be gone in a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.