Fruit flies

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Tort's enclosure has been the home of MANY fruit flies. About a month or two ago if found where they were nesting and I soaked every rock/toy and even his calcium block for a couple of days, then I left them out to dry for even more days. I also changed his bedding. I haven't seen any fruit flies since. Today I moved one of his rocks to find that they are nesting again and i was wondering if there is an easy way to eradicate them, as I have a feeling they will just come back again if I just do what I did last time. I'm also wondering if they can do any harm to my Tort.

Tortski

Arizona
Now that I finally something to soak the stuff in again, it looks like there is way less larvae than before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those aren't fruit flies. They are phorid flies. Harmless detrivores. They come from the surrounding environment and our warm damp tortoise enclosure make an ideal area to live and breed for them.

I ignore them. To get rid of them, you'll have to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks or so.

Tortski

Arizona
I forgot to mention how bad the fly situation was. We've had to cover every drink, and hope they wouldn't land in our food. I don't think ignoring them would be possible. I know I practically boil the rocks and toys when I soak them. I think I won't get too bad if I soak his stuff and change bedding every now and then. Thanks!