Fruit Flies, Is No Substrate Okay?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I’ve tried vinegar to get rid of the fruit flies in Matteo’s enclosure. Works in the kitchen but not very well in his enclosure. I got them down a bit then they rebounded. They seem to prefer the soil to the vinegar.

I’ve ordered some insect-eating plants. In the meantime, could I just put Matteo in his enclosure with no substrate to finally get rid of the flies.

I think they’re biting him. They are cloying out and harassing/handing on me too.

Any other tips?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use fly sticky paper on the inside glass. Soon catches them then peel away when loaded. They must have substrates to walk and snuggle into , your flies are coming in on the food as eggs and hatching What is the set up, what tortoise, what food etc.....

This is a UK link so you get the idea.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LXZ85S/?tag=

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve tried vinegar to get rid of the fruit flies in Matteo’s enclosure. Works in the kitchen but not very well in his enclosure. I got them down a bit then they rebounded. They seem to prefer the soil to the vinegar.

I’ve ordered some insect-eating plants. In the meantime, could I just put Matteo in his enclosure with no substrate to finally get rid of the flies.

I think they’re biting him. They are cloying out and harassing/handing on me too.

Any other tips?

Thanks.

Those aren't fruit flies. They are phoned flies. They are harmless detrivores. They keep the enclosure cleaner. They come from the surrounding environment and colonize our warm, damp enclosure substrate. I just ignore them and they balance out over time.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I use fly sticky paper on the inside glass. Soon catches them then peel away when loaded. They must have substrates to walk and snuggle into , your flies are coming in on the food as eggs and hatching What is the set up, what tortoise, what food etc.....

This is a UK link so you get the idea.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LXZ85S/?tag=
I’m ordering some of those catchers! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have Reptisoil mixed with Eco Earth Coconut Fiber. I’m feeding Mazuri and organic spring mix right now with freeze dried hibiscus, red clover, and dandelion. The flies are a recent phenomenon but the Mazuri is stored in the garage as mom doesn’t like the smell. Flies might have gotten in. I hope it isn’t the soil. I spend good money just to ensure I don’t have bugs.

it’s been about a year I’ve had the Mazuri Matteo eat only a few pellets a day from a 25lb bag.

Thanks.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Those aren't fruit flies. They are phoned flies. They are harmless detrivores. They keep the enclosure cleaner. They come from the surrounding environment and colonize our warm, damp enclosure substrate. I just ignore them and they balance out over time.
Phoned flies? I can’t find them. They are annoying me by landing on me, and my mother doesn’t want the bugs in the house. She’s not happy there’s so much soil in my bedroom. I’d ordered Matteo way before I moved back in with her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the 'n' should be a couple of 'r's.'

Phorrid flies or something like that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Phoned flies? I can’t find them. They are annoying me by landing on me, and my mother doesn’t want the bugs in the house. She’s not happy there’s so much soil in my bedroom. I’d ordered Matteo way before I moved back in with her.
Sorry. Spell check got me. Phorid flies.

Quixx66

Louisiana
So I read that phorid flies are actually dangerous disease carriers. I had started to leave food for Matteo overnight because he wakes up at night and he’ll wake up earlier in the morning than I do.

I just found decomposing greens in his soil that he had buried! Yuck! No more! He’ll have to eat at set times now, and I’ll take out what he doesn’t eat right away!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I read that phorid flies are actually dangerous disease carriers. I had started to leave food for Matteo overnight because he wakes up at night and he’ll wake up earlier in the morning than I do.

I just found decomposing greens in his soil that he had buried! Yuck! No more! He’ll have to eat at set times now, and I’ll take out what he doesn’t eat right away!
Well technically that is true, but its also try of any and every flying insect. Phorid flies actually prevent disease by keeping the environment cleaner and preventing the sort of decay you discovered. The system will balance itself out if you leave them be. Its never a bad idea to clean up uneaten food.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Well technically that is true, but its also try of any and every flying insect. Phorid flies actually prevent disease by keeping the environment cleaner and preventing the sort of decay you discovered. The system will balance itself out if you leave them be. Its never a bad idea to clean up uneaten food.
Whew, I’ve been worrying. Thanks for the perspective and reassurance.

squirtal

Birmingham

Any other tips?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16