From The Central California Valley

Turner

Hello all, I recently retired and moved from Southern California to the Merced area in Central California. While in So Cal I had four young Sulcatas, two California Desert Tortoises from extremely long term (1950's) captive bred stock, and the worlds meanest Russian tortoise. In his defense the Russian tortoise was given to me after having been attacked by a Great Dane puppy. About 25% of his shell was fiber glass and he only had 2 toes on one of his front feet, so I really do understand his attitude, but he was ornery. He was the only tortoise I have heard of that would literally track you down and bite you while you were working in the yard. He walked with a limp and his shell drug, so if he came at you across the patio you at least had some warning. When the kids were young I had to cage him before they would come out!

After having all my tortoises stolen while spending a week in the hospital, I decided to give up the hobby until I retired. I now have much more space, and time, to begin again. Reading again my Pritchard and Paull references and researching outdoor enclosures appropriate to the temperature variances we experience here. I am also checking into the safety issues presented by Turkey Buzzards and Owls, of which we have an abundance. This looks like a great site and I look forward to learning from the experience of others.

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome, there's a lot of keepers in the Central Valley, your weather is great tortoise weather...
I can't imagine having my tortoises stolen, that's bad. Just awful...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . So what tort are you going to start with ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
That is so awful. People...............

Good to have you here. You found the best place to learn and share everything and nothing related to Tortoise. Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! If you ever find yourself down in the Fresno/Clovis area, I'd be happy to show you around my turtle zoo.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Welcome!
Can I retire before I start working?! Please...?
;) :D
Again, welcome! I think you will very much so enjoy out group of crazy tortoise people!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Things have sure changed in the last few years with regard to husbandry practices. Hope we can help.